Kiln dried?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trktrd

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2010
Arkansas
It's been over 100 degrees and dry here for nearly 2 months. I can't believe how fast my wood is drying. Even the red oak I css'd this past spring looks like it's been in a microwave all summer. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed and hope my piles don't spontaneously combust or just turn to dust and blow away !

Sure has been a good seasonoing season for you. Ours in PA as been about average, if I had to guess. Now in Texas now they are probably near kiln dried just sitting out in the open.

Shawn

Makes me sweat just thinking about it. I know you folks have really had a hot one this year. Maybe you'll get an early fall.

The last month or so its been hot and dry here also, my red oak is drying rapidly, ends are checking nicely, also my drives on the golf course are rolling an extra 50 yards.

Hey Trktrd, I just read that Little Rock registered an official 114 this past week. Dang! That's hotter than hot.

Update: I took random samples of the red oak CSS'd early this spring and nothing over 15 on the MM. BAD summer for the garden but great for the wood. I may be going hungry but at least we'll be warm.

Trktrd said:
Update: I took random samples of the red oak CSS'd early this spring and nothing over 15 on the MM. BAD summer for the garden but great for the wood. I may be going hungry but at least we'll be warm.

Its almost like you guys live in a giant kiln down there in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.