Kiln drying in pickup truck bed with tonneau cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky8443

Burning Hunk
Apr 22, 2014
Glenside, PA
I had one year seasoned oak at about 25% moisture or so. I took a temp under the black tonneau cover and got a 140 degree reading on an 84 degree day. Idea: Instant kiln dryer for firewood. I realize there is no wind passing through the bed, but it is breathable in certain areas, allowing for moisture to escape from the bed once it bakes out and escapes the splits. After one week of heat in PA, average reading moved to about 21%. Going camping in two weeks so hoping to get sub 20% on the moisture reading with this oak. This seems to be a great idea if you have a truck as a secondary vehicle and you need to speed dry to some degree.

Reactions: HDRock
Status
Not open for further replies.