Kimberley stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaotter

Hello
I will be building a small house, 350 sq ft with loft and over 350 sq ft ground floor basement. So basically 800 sq ft to heat. The stove will be in the basement and I want something that is easy, quick to heat and clean burning.
-I have been looking at the Lopi (forget which model), and the Jotul 602.
-I have looked at the HWAN (not sure which model and only N American rep appears to be east coast US).
-I have also looked at the Kimberley.... Liking this one. Does anyone have experience with this stove?

Need advice, thx

/seaotter

I don't have any experience with the Kimberly but for what it's worth, the Lopi Answer , Lopi Republic 1250, and the Jotul 602 are great performers and from my experience have been pretty bullet proof. Someone else may be able to speak to how the Kimberly performs. Good Luck with the building project!!
Warm Regards

I don't know about the Kimberly either. But I can tell you that the 1250 from Lopi is less frustrating to operate than the 602. The 602 has a very skinny,shallow firebox and is very hard to get very much wood in it. I know they are both small, but there was just something about the shape of the 602, I found it hard to make good use of compared to other small stoves.

Are you planning on using the stove as your main heat source? If you plan on having it heat the house overnight you may want to go a bit larger in the firebox size starting at about 1.9 to 2 cu ft. Stoves that are smaller usually don't give off any usable heat beyond 5 to 6 hours. Since your space is so small a catalytic stove may also be a good idea. They are usually a bit more expensive but the heat output can be more easily regulated and they have longer burn times. What is your budget? Do you already have seasoned wood with a moisture content of less than 20%? You will need to look for that ASAP when you want to burn this winter.

I don't know about the Kimberly either. But I can tell you that the 1250 from Lopi is less frustrating to operate than the 602. The 602 has a very skinny,shallow firebox and is very hard to get very much wood in it. I know they are both small, but there was just something about the shape of the 602, I found it hard to make good use of compared to other small stoves.

I agree, the 602 is really a 1-2 stick of wood stove at the most and has a small door opening. We sell quite a few of these for seasonal "summer camp" type use but Webby has a good point. The 1250 has a larger door opening and firebox and would be easier to use in a real heating (used often) type situation.
Warm Regards

I am gonna back up Grisu. If this is gonna be your primary heater those tiny fireboxes aint gonna get it done. At 800 sqft those little stoves will heat the area, but it will be short lived unless you continue to feed the little beasties. A small cat or even soapstone/cat is what I would be looking at. The soapstone will help with a softer heat curve and retain a bit more heat at the end of the burn cycle.

You are actually in kind of a difficult size range. Not enough sqft to warrant a stove big enough to hold an overnight fire, but too big for the tiny stoves. In my opinion look into the 2.0 sqft firebox size. Don't go by the hyped up propaganda in the stove manuals. They often overstate their performance.

Keep in mind - cracking a window for some fresh air in the middle of winter isn't necessarily a bad thing.;)

Reactions: Grisu
Basement walls will suck away some of your heat also. Bigger than you think will be better. I agree 2.0 cu ft stove as you are up north much colder winters.

If the intent is to heat 24/7 this installation is asking for a small cat stove. A BK Sirocco 20, Buck 20, Woodstock Keystone or VC Intrepid II cat are candidates.

In a non-cat, look at the PE Super 27. It will be half the price of the Kimberly and will do a better job.

Reactions: Huntindog1
Hi guys,
All good things to think about! Thanks!
I will build with SIP construction so basement will be well insulated. Right now I have a 1200 sq ft place w/ regency insert and baseboards as backup. I never worry about keeping stove going all night. New place with have in floor heating as back up so same deal. But I think Grisu you are right when you remind me of the stuff to burn in kimberley. Although burning the prest logs sounds good ... The novelty will wear off and I will want to burn 'regular' stuff. Leaning toward the Lopi again.
Project does not start until the present house sells....

Status
Not open for further replies.