Kindlin. Any reason why...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Been dismantling a blown down section of my 120 year old barn. Took some of the 8"x8" ceder beams and cut them into 10" long pieces and then split them into roughly 1x1" pieces.
IMG_1791.JPG
They burn like nobodies business in the farpit but surpizingly enough after over 100 years there is a large amount of pitch still in them. It bubbles out and oozes and then catches on fire. Here is a pic of it happening with a full 8"x8" piece.
IMG_1790.JPG
It burns kinda black when it catches and just dont want to be tarrin up my stove I guess.

Reactions: ScotO
You should be good to go. That 100-year-old cedar will burn hot & as long as the rest of your stash is seasoned, your tar deposits will be minimal, if at all...

I wouldn't be worried about it in a tube stove but I wouldn't want to send it through my combustor. I use some Pine kindling but I'm bypassing the cat at that point. You can see black smoke coming off the Pine....

The pitch doesn't dry out because it is an oil, not water-based material. I don't see a problem burning the stuff in your stove. The pitch will burn as long as it is hot enough with enough air for combustion. I guess if you have a cat stove you might be concerned, especially at start-up when the stove is not hot yet. Of course the cat isn't engaged at start - up, so no worries.

No worries. Burn on.

Butcher, that ain't gonna do no harm at all. That is just pitch that is naturally inside all conifer trees. Basically the exact same as pitch pine or fatwood. I'd be making kindlin out of it, bundling it in bags, and a-sellin' it to others for startin' fires.....

Burn on, brother!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.