Kindling and army men.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ControlFreak

Feeling the Heat
Jan 15, 2008
Holden, MA
OK, this one is just for fun.

When my boys were younger, we would start the fire together. We would build a "fort" of kinding in the stove. Then they would strategically place a few plastic army men in there to guard the fort.

Then the assault would begin. We'd set fire to the fort and they would giggle and point as the army men perish.

Are we the only sickos here that have done this kind of thing?

Have you done other creative things like this?

Of course, we don't have a cat stove, so I don't have to worry about poisoning the combustor.

Dan

At least they will know what fire does, Burns every thing it can.

Your sons game will take on a whole different meaning should they decide to enlist in to the Armed Forces or the draft starts up again.

One thing to remember to tell them though is never ever put anything in there that has a small battery in it. I threw some McDs toy thing my kids had in the upstairs fireplace not thinking about it and then bang :bug: and bang :ahhh: again against the glass and it was a couple of those little batteries exploding. Lucky for me it did not damage the glass.

I now put nothing in there that did not come from a tree.

Are we the only sickos here that have done this kind of thing?

Well my Dad was never part of the scheme.
But we torched a whole Monopoly Game and Life Game once.

9 foot high square tube chimney of logs four feet long stacked like a log cabin
(plenty of air inlets)

filled with nice dry pine needles and kindling
(packed)

In July.
(a very dry July)

In New England.

Out in the middle of 'no where'

In a flight path.

With no way to put it out.

Don't ever do this.

billb3 said:
9 foot high square tube chimney of logs four feet long stacked like a log cabin
(plenty of air inlets)

filled with nice dry pine needles and kindling
(packed)

In July.
(a very dry July)

In New England.

Out in the middle of 'no where'

In a flight path.

With no way to put it out.

Don't ever do this.

Alright, alright I can't stand it. I hope you didn't light the forest on fire. What happened?

Well controlfreak. if you are still doing this, then I think you have been lingering on this forum too long. I mean, next thing ya know is you will be as nutty as the rest of us. :-S

I mean, give it a thought, people on this space welcome storms, can`t wait for the power to go out,clap their hands when the price of oil goes up,and jump for joy when the end is near. ;-) Lord help me, cause I have become one of them.

When I was a teen I saw a guy throw a aerosol can washed up on the beach in to a beach fire. Big boom and the fire all over the place. It was a huge fire to start with so no one was close to it when the sparks flew.

sonnyinbc said:
Well controlfreak. if you are still doing this, then I think you have been lingering on this forum too long. I mean, next thing ya know is you will be as nutty as the rest of us. :-S

I mean, give it a thought, people on this space welcome storms, can`t wait for the power to go out,clap their hands when the price of oil goes up,and jump for joy when the end is near. ;-) Lord help me, cause I have become one of them.

Nope, we don't do this any more. The boys have lost interest. But guess who's idea it was to do this? It wasn't the boys. I don't think this forum makes people nutty. It think it just attracts them.

I think the world needs to thank people like you guys who are looking for better ways to do things and are are willing to be labeled as a nut until the rest come around. You have to be a little nutty in order to be willing to take risks and try new things. Without a little innovative risk we'd still be riding horses around and taking boats to get across the ocean.

Status
Not open for further replies.