Kindling, boys help, 100 days and what's the difference between these 2 splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyline

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2009
Oregon
Found a blow down Western Red Cedar the other day which I just love for making kindling. It smells so good! And the boys and friend helped peel the ones I want to use for making drink holders.

Interestingly, you can see in the picture of the 4 rounds, on the left side, where I had just moved the round on the left towards the middle, a wet spot is remaining where the moisture from that round was leaving making the asphalt wet after less than an hour. Nice to see even without splitting the moisture is leaving the rounds. In fact it has lost 158 grams in the last 5 days.

The last picture is of 2 of my Doug fir splits from my drying experiment after 100 days of drying. They are the same length (17.5") but as you can see the split on the right is from higher up in the tree and started out 3.6 lbs. lighter (12.7 lbs (7394g) vs. 15.3 lbs. (5786g)). But since the bigger split on the left has more heart wood, you can imagine it started with a lower MC. In fact the smaller split on the right has lost a total 2708 g or 46.8% of its original weight vs. 2434g (32.9%) for the bigger split. If I do the math and assume they both started at 100% MC, that would mean the smaller split is currently at 6% MC and the larger split is at 34%.

I am sure the bigger split didn't start that high but I thought it might be interesting to some folks to see how much difference there is between 2 splits from the same tree drying in the same conditions after 100 days.

Attachments

• DSC_6503.jpg
    DSC_6503.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 598
  • DSC_6506.jpg
    DSC_6506.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 595
  • DSC_6513.jpg
    DSC_6513.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 575
  • DSC_6526.jpg
    DSC_6526.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 597
Holy cow what a view!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack Straw said:
Holy cow what a view!!!!!!!!!!!

That is almost EXACTLY what I thought !!! Wow, You can literally see for many,many, miles !!!

Why is your name skyline?

Nice view. I feel bad for your tailgate.

lukem said:

It's a work truck for sure!

Nice view, nice wood and some good looking helpers.

skyline said:
lukem said:

It's a work truck for sure!
My dad's tailgate looks like that on his fairly new diesel chevy. I asked why and he said it's because the tailgate isn't rated to hold what the bed can, lol. Yes, he got my "duh" response, but in fairness he was only joking. Well, I'm pretty sure it was damaged like he said, but he knew better!

Please elaborate more on these "drink holders" that you speak of.

KC

Oh yeah, Damn nice view.

Drink Holder- is that the round you set your beer on while your splitting the others?

I snapped both cables on my tailgate a couple days ago. Had 10 sheets of 1/2" OSB in the bed/ 6ft bed so I stacked them on the top of the tailgate. Go to pull them out and I unlatched the tailgate and dropped it kinda slow... Yeah... luckily my legs and face caught most of the OSB so it didn't cause the tailgate to fold in 1/2.

NATE379 said:
I snapped both cables on my tailgate a couple days ago. Had 10 sheets of 1/2" OSB in the bed/ 6ft bed so I stacked them on the top of the tailgate. Go to pull them out and I unlatched the tailgate and dropped it kinda slow... Yeah... luckily my legs and face caught most of the OSB so it didn't cause the tailgate to fold in 1/2.
Just brought home 15 sheets of 1/2 plywood without problems in my short bed. Leave the tailgate down and ratchet-strap across the sheets to make sure they are stable.

Your legs and face will heal, the tailgate wouldn't, harhar...

Well it's shorter than shortbed too cause I have a 50gal fuel tank by the cab. Been meaning to change the cables for probably 5-6 years now... well guess now was the time.

Trucked the sheets about 50 miles and I didn't feel like having to only do 60mph or everything was going to fly out the bed, so was easiest to keep the tailgate up and let gravity hold the sheets in.

Have bad luck with OSB, blew the window out the same truck last year when I had 2 sheets I left in the bed and the wind grabbed them (100mph gusts) and threw them into the back of the cab. Found one sheet on the other side of the house about 200ft from the truck and never found the 2nd one.

iskiatomic said:
Please elaborate more on these "drink holders" that you speak of.

KC

Oh yeah, Damn nice view.

Atomic,

Sorry I was out on the river for a few days. These rounds are for the beers "after" I split my rounds!

Attachments

• DSC_6835.jpg
    DSC_6835.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 238
Status
Not open for further replies.