Kindling Cherry yes or no

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
I like lots of good Kindling for starting stove up with very few coals etc. etc. This year am using Tulip Poplar which makes very good Kindling, and had planned on cutting some for next year, but have acess to so much dead Cherry this year,

I was wondering what kind of Kindling Cherry would make cut up into real small splits. I can't see cutting down a live Poplar with so much dead non punky Cherry on hand

Attachments

• SDC10366.jpg
    SDC10366.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 529
Would make great kindling
Will dry fast split up that small.
I use birch, it works fine.

Attachments

• 102_4213.jpg
    102_4213.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 498
^^ yep . Cherry makes very good kindling as does silver maple .

I have used some Cherry for kindling. It is rare for me to get though. It works great for kindling. As does White Ash. That is what I have access to.

I don't care what type of wood it is, if it splits easily I'll use it as kindling. If it's a PIA to split small (I can slide my wedding band over about 1/2 my kindling) then it goes in the stove whole.

I save for kindling whatever will get to that size the easiest.

pen

pen said:
I don't care what type of wood it is, if it splits easily I'll use it as kindling. If it's a PIA to split small (I can slide my wedding band over about 1/2 my kindling) then it goes in the stove whole.

pen

+1

midwestcoast said:
pen said:

pen

+1

Exception might be locust, its takes a while to get going.

Posted this photo a while back - I've been making red maple kindling for the last couple weeks. A little more to go for next year's supply. The red maple gets so dry, with a 1/4 Supercedar, it lights off like a rocket! I'm sure the cherry will be great. I've used red oak kindling and takes a little bit longer to catch, but still fast and leaves a nice bed of coals. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_3214_copy.jpg
    IMG_3214_copy.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 386
NH_Wood said:
Posted this photo a while back - I've been making red maple kindling for the last couple weeks. A little more to go for next year's supply. The red maple gets so dry, with a 1/4 Supercedar, it lights off like a rocket! I'm sure the cherry will be great. I've used red oak kindling and takes a little bit longer to catch, but still fast and leaves a nice bed of coals. Cheers!

Is that your kindling splits??? I make mine that size and smaller, mostly smaller

cptoneleg said:
NH_Wood said:

Is that your kindling splits??? I make mine that size and smaller, mostly smaller

Yes - if red maple - gets so dry that ~ 2" splits light right off with a 1/4 supercedar. There are quite a few ~1" size pieces as well though. Cheers!

I've always been partial to softwood for my kindling -- white cedar or I'll chop up some slabs.

That said . . . almost any wood will do if it is small and seasoned enough.

Cherry is excellent kindling,starts fast,burns hot & smells wonderful.I normally use a mixture of twigs/branches from the yard,corn cobs & all kinds of hardwood/softwood scraps from my shop because I accumulate so much of it every year.

Cherry is cheery no matter how it burns; kindling or splits are fine.

weatherguy said:
midwestcoast said:
pen said:

pen

+1

Exception might be locust, its takes a while to get going.
This and Osage, there hard starters.

Cherry would be better than Poplar IMO because it will hold a little longer, but burn as well. Poplar goes quick and may not be enough of a base for larger splits to take hold.

Cherry has been excellent kindling for me this year. Burns hot and longer than pine/poplar/birch.

Status
Not open for further replies.