Kindling pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sigsegv

Feb 22, 2014
Seattle, WA
How big are your kindling piles?

The previous owner of my house had left a pile of used cedar shakes behind. I finally got around to cutting them in half and processing them. I should be set for a while...

IMG_20140317_133336860.jpg

Mine is about exactly the size of a box of 100 Super Cedars.

Here's mine all free from a roof truss manufacturer near work. I can get as much as i want. It makes starting a fire soooooo easy. Untreated kiln dried pine ;lol

CAM00059.jpg CAM00060.jpg

Sig, your pile looks good. That should last you a few years. How did you get the pieces split so consistent?

Auzzie, That's what I use 2 X kiln dried lumber. I split mine as small as possible. The best is splinters. I use a fire starter and 4 pieces of small splitters of pine.

How big are your kindling piles? The previous owner of my house had left a pile of used cedar shakes behind. I finally got around to cutting them in half and processing them. I should be set for a while...

Welcome to the forum sigsegv.

That ought to last you 5 or 6 years at least!

Sig, your pile looks good. That should last you a few years. How did you get the pieces split so consistent?
They're not split that consistently, just as best I could with a small hatchet. Cedar shakes are easy to split, just whack away, thick end up. Most are 1/2"x1/2" to 3/4"x3/4".

I like to gather up all the splitter trash and use that

Nice looking pile of cedar though!

Nice picture for sure, every 4-6 weeks I whack up a round of cedar or two, using my Huskee 22 to fill up a nice cardboard box in my garage and I use that with some fatwood to start a fire everyday..... Works out well for me......

I had a couple bags of shingle rejects and framing cutoffs from a garage build .
I always have pine branches as convenient as walking less than 100 feet into the woods and snapping some dead pine branches off a tree.
A couple more of these split white pine will set me up for next year.
DSC_9545.JPG
The larger splits have knots and just aren't worth trying to split smaller.
The small pine pieces are great for putting on AM coals to get some flame and heat in the box.

I like to gather up all the splitter trash and use that

Nice looking pile of cedar though!
I did that last fall. Instead of just throwing all of that splitter junk into the woods like I used to I raked it up and bagged it with some Birch bark that I harvest from dead fallen Birch trees and, whoa! Did it ever work nice for kindling!

My neighbor works at a local saw mill and he said he'd bring a big bundle of scrap 1/2x1/2x80" scrap that they usually sell for $20 for me. The bundle takes up the whole pickup box.

Stripped the cedar shingles off my house last Summer to put on vinyl siding . . . I saved a goodly number of those shingles and am still burning them in the woodstove as kindling.

Status
Not open for further replies.