kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westkywood

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2009
Kentucky
Found some good kindling. I found a pile of old barn wood on the side of the road that was from an old storage building that had fallen down. It looks like old oak barn wood. I got 3 truck loads of it. I sawed it up and split it into smaller pieces. I've never found better kindling than old barn wood. It burns hot and takes very little to get a fire going.

makes sense since its been seasoning for at least 50 years. Good score!!

This past summer I tore down an old camp and re-used quite a bit of the wood for a wood shed . . . smaller pieces and pieces that were a bit on the soft side have been and are being used for kindling . . . since this camp was built by my Uncle back in the 1950s the wood is burning quite well and has made excellent kindling.

Any old wood like that is going to be nice kindling. Here in Maine I reserve one firewooding session every other year for a pickup load of cedar. I use an old Glenwood Cookstove, so she needs to be lit every morning and the kindling bucket in back of the stove is always got 8-10 pieces of dry cedar in it. These and a few wraps of newpaper are all it takes to fire it every morning. You just can't beat cedar for a fast hot burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.