Kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Started to pile the kindling (basswood) looks like one more load then I'll have enough for the winter.

The basswood was bucked up in late Nov. or early Dec. of 09.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1121.jpg
    100_1121.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 588
I think you have more kindling than I have of regular wood.

Jeff if you were close I would be glad to fix you up with wood, I can't burn all thats down.

zap

Nice zap, you must have alot of time on your hands, and a splitter. My kindling is composed of the remains of hand splitting. Chips and bark and small pieces that fall off in the process. I throw them in some big boxes and use that. With all the wood you have (how many cords do you think?) you never have to let your fire go out anyway. I am like you in that I have more dead wood down than I can handle. I can only get to it this year because I got a Bobcat to put in some trails. What kind of UTV do you have and do you like it? I am thinking of getting one, even though they cost as much as a small car. Do you have any trouble manuvering with it?

I should have close to 54 face cord by fall and thats hardwood, I'll have another 6-8 face cord of softwood bucked up and hopefully split but that might be to much for me.

My wife wanted the rhino so we bought the 450, works great on the hills and the smaller roads going up the hills. Most of the property I can drive my truck on (single lane road) I have some trails off the main road that I need to clear or make. The rhino has been a real work horse for us, so far no problems at all.

zap

zapny said:
I should have close to 54 face cord by fall and thats hardwood, I'll have another 6-8 face cord of softwood bucked up and hopefully split but that might be to much for me.

Nice Zap, being in the 20 cord club every October is my goal as well.

zapny said:

My wife wanted the rhino so we bought the 450, works great on the hills and the smaller roads going up the hills. Most of the property I can drive my truck on (single lane road) I have some trails off the main road that I need to clear or make. The rhino has been a real work horse for us, so far no problems at all.

zap

What does this equal in real cords?

firefighterjake said:
zapny said:

zap

I think 18 cord. Is it 3 face cord per cord?

zap

zapny said:
firefighterjake said:
zapny said:

zap

I think 18 cord. Is it 3 face cord per cord?

zap

That's a decent amount of wood then! Nice job!

since last fall, 3 face cord has been 0.921875 cord

SolarAndWood said:
since last fall, 3 face cord has been 0.921875 cord

Have more than that at 14.75 inches, 15 + face cord at that length plus I'm not sure how much in the woods. :zip:

zap

Zap, I didn't get finished on the kindling yesterday and might have to wait a couple more days but then maybe we should compare quantities. I think you will have me beat. btw, I used all soft maple except for one popple and I don't know how that one got in there.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, I didn't get finished on the kindling yesterday and might have to wait a couple more days but then maybe we should compare quantities. I think you will have me beat. btw, I used all soft maple except for one popple and I don't know how that one got in there.

Sav I just had to stack last night, that was all split two weeks ago. I'm going back in the woodlands tonight and grab one more load then split it starting on Monday. Muggy here but the cold front is coming in tonight with the temps dropping down around 49 degrees.

zap

Oh wow. 49 degrees sounds wonderful. We are forecast 47 for tomorrow night. Might even have to shut a few windows...but probably won't. The cool air should feel great. Maybe I'll finish that kindling job when it cools off. Can't finish it today anyway so it looks like the cooler air will be here and that is a blessing.

Skier76 said:
I may have to fire up the Jotul tomrorow night. :)

Last time it dropped down around 43 ( about two weels ago)the wife wanted a fire, this time if she wants one I will have to fire the Liberty up! :red:

zap

woodsmaster said:
zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
Is it 3 face cord per cord?

If you cut at 16"

Starting last fall I cut at 14.75.

zap

WOW 14.75 is getting pretty precise. do you measure each piece?

I mark everything 14.75, the liberty has a short box north/south.

zap

zapny said:
Jeff if you were close I would be glad to fix you up with wood, I can't burn all thats down.

zap

It's nice of you to be willing to give some away. We're ok with what we have. This house we heat with a pellet stove. The woodstove is in the basement. We use it for power outages and days when the pellet stove can't keep up. The next house we are going to heat with all wood.

Needshave said:
zapny said:

zap

It's nice of you to be willing to give some away. We're ok with what we have. This house we heat with a pellet stove. The woodstove is in the basement. We use it for power outages and days when the pellet stove can't keep up. The next house we are going to heat with all wood.

We have a pellet stove also, we put the pellet stove in about three years before we bought the property I cut on.

zap

[/quote]

It's nice of you to be willing to give some away. We're ok with what we have. This house we heat with a pellet stove. The woodstove is in the basement. We use it for power outages and days when the pellet stove can't keep up. The next house we are going to heat with all wood.[/quote]

We have a pellet stove also, we put the pellet stove in about three years before we bought the property I cut on.

zap[/quote]

Do you use the pellet stove?
We bought a 1.4 acre lot about three months ago. It's not much but has some good sized timber on it. I started making a clearing for a house. I bought my first chainsaw and have a bunch down and bucked. Tommorow I plan on moving as much as I can to the back of the property to start stacking. I laid down a couple saplings between two standing trees. The first row will be rounds then I plan to start splitting. All I have to move the wood is a wheelbarrow. I'll be getting plenty of exercise. I'll post pics when it looks like I've acomplished something.

It's nice of you to be willing to give some away. We're ok with what we have. This house we heat with a pellet stove. The woodstove is in the basement. We use it for power outages and days when the pellet stove can't keep up. The next house we are going to heat with all wood.[/quote]

zap[/quote]

Do you use the pellet stove?
We bought a 1.4 acre lot about three months ago. It's not much but has some good sized timber on it. I started making a clearing for a house. I bought my first chainsaw and have a bunch down and bucked. Tommorow I plan on moving as much as I can to the back of the property to start stacking. I laid down a couple saplings between two standing trees. The first row will be rounds then I plan to start splitting. All I have to move the wood is a wheelbarrow. I'll be getting plenty of exercise. I'll post pics when it looks like I've acomplished something.[/quote]

Yes we still use it, we use it early on when it's not real cold out. Next year we will have some quaking aspen for the shoulder season so we might use it less.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

zap

Basswood is very soft...........must burn very fast!!

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.