kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
What do u guys and gals use for kindling?... do u split up ur hardwood for this?...use pine or what?

steeltowninwv, our first year we used quaking aspen (popple) then last year and this year we will use basswood.

zap

I had a lot of short 3-4 inch deep trimings of mulberry, oak, walnut, boxelder, hackberry and silver maple that I split into small chunks. I have some pine that that I am going to do the same with.

I work in a cabinet shop, so kindling isn't a problem for me to get. If you want a good supply, try and find a cabinet shop in your area and see what they do with the scraps...

The droppings from the hydraulic splitter provide more than I need for kindling. That means it's usually good hardwoods.

I used to split pine very small for kindling, but the hardwood shards and splinters do just fine and it's no extra work.

I got some Pine that I'm going to split in a range of small sized. Never tried this before; In the past, just used fallen branches picked up in the woods, avoiding the punk. Hoping the Pine will light off newspaper for cold starts.

Backwoodsavage had a thread about kindling not to long ago. Believe he used (Soft) Silver Maple. Here is a pic of the Pile I made. It has since gotton larger. Everytime I split, I take some of the real small/straight Rounds and split them down as small as possible.

Most are under 1"x1"x16". Shoulkd have took a Pic of the actual process (Like Backwoods), but oh well.

Attachments

• IMG-20110806-00055.jpg
    IMG-20110806-00055.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 510
I get Silver Maple, Black Birch, Poplar, Ash, Mimosa or any other hardwood that seems to ignite easily and split it as small as the splitter can "deli slice it" lol...

A friend thats a carpenter brought me a truckload of molding scraps last spring. I sawed and snapped them all into 6-14 inch pieces, boxed em up in one big box and they are in a closed tv cabinet in the living room next to a box of 100 super cedars. Im Ready Freddy.

I tend to use alot of the bark that falls off the splits

The trees on my property provide all the kindling I need to get through the cold starts during shoulder season. Hell after Irene, I am set with kindling for a few years.

Shawn

My favorite kindling is catolpa wood. I don't allways have it so I all-so use ash bark, lumber scraps, and splitter debries.

Similar to Shawn - I use whatever small, dead branches fall around the property. Cheers!

Super Cedars does the trick.

The test of how religious a home is about burning wood for heat, is how much kindling they have.

Lots of Kindling = they don't burn 24/7
Minimal amounts of kindling = they are wood heat "aholics"

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
The test of how religious a home is about burning wood for heat, is how much kindling they have.

Lots of Kindling = they don't burn 24/7
Minimal amounts of kindling = they are wood heat "aholics"

-Soupy1957

Not true for us wood boiler with storage users. I heat with 100% wood and build a fire every day or two depending on temp.

Dried droppings (from splitter) work very well. So does good clean pallets cut to length and manually split. Just make sure they are not treated with chemicals. Lumber yards give them away.

We burn 24/7 but away for 8-10 hours a day...usually coals left..throw in some kindling on those colas and it speeds everything up

Or we have very small stoves that are hard to get an overnight burn in with enough to still light in the morning! ;)

My Englander will still have serviceable coals when I wake up, but I definitely have to start up with kindling again in the morning and work back up to full size splits. I went through about one milk crate of kindling in a month.

I use a combination of bark (especially cedar bark, the stringy stuff works great for starting), very small splits, and what twigs from our two elm trees in the front yard I make my stepkids pick up. My three year old knows to gather up little sticks and twigs we see on our walks and when we go to the park and they go into "her" tinderbox. She gets a kick out of it and I get free kindling. =P

~Rose

I like to use dried cedar fence posts. I cut them into about ten inch lengths then split them down in to pencil size with a wedge and hammer. They easily split right down the grain. They act like fatwood when I'm starting a fire. Once fence post will last me about two years.

yep...i use the debris from either the manual or hydraulic splitting process. i built a crib to put all the bark and small chunks in cuz i just can't throw out burnable fuel. i'll even use the chunks in sept when we just need a small fire to throw off the chill at night.

mostly tho we just use starter logs broken down to pieces about 3" square and add seasoned wood and let it rip.

some purists give me crap about that but its chimney safe, environmentally sound and a whole lot easier. but sometimes we'll light the fire with a bow drill or hand drill or mouth drill pump drill fire piston fire plow fire thong fire saw...just to keep it interesting.

Kenster said:
I like to use dried cedar fence posts. I cut them into about ten inch lengths then split them down in to pencil size with a wedge and hammer. They easily split right down the grain. They act like fatwood when I'm starting a fire. Once fence post will last me about two years.

got one all lined up Kenster ;-) mostly just need it for spring/fall..

loon

DSC09904.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.