kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or some folks have given up on kindling altogether and simply use the Super Cedars. There is an offer from Thomas that he will send some free samples and you may want to take advantage of that. They really work great.

We still use soft maple kindling and super cedars.

I use cedar. A lot of it too, wish I could afford the stove I want :( some day

I have got to be the only person in the world who cannot, on her life, start a decent fire with any kind of firestarter. I've tried Super Cedars, the ones from the grocery store, the ones from the feed store, the ones from the tack store, the one from Home Cheapo, etc etc etc and I end up going back to paper and woodchips and lard EVERY TIME. I have never not been able to start a fire straight off and walk away from it. With the starters I have to sit there and nurse it and feed it tiny sticks and it's just a PITA.

~Rose

I make my own firestarters with paraffin and sawdust. I also keep the old lathe boards when I'm working on our home. They are pine and burn very hot and quick. Perfect for those top down fires.

I just filled up my landscaping bucket today with kindling for the season. I filled it with twigs and small branches that fell from Irene. I also burn a lot of scrap construction debris. I'm a carpenter so I have access to a lot of construction debris. I use super cedars also. Pistachio shells and junk mail are among my favorites to start fires with.

I use wax, shavings and a silicone muffin tray to make my firestarters. Once they dry, pop them right out and start over again. My wife got me ones that are shaped like a snowman or christmas tree, but I think the simple round ones would be easier.

wingman i would to hear the process u go thru to make these...

I get paraffin blocks from work that are around 20 pounds a piece. I mix shavings with the paraffin and compress the mixture in a tube. When it dries I cut them into discs. They burn around 30-45 minutes and work well. But I also like kinding because it heats up the firebox fast and reduces smoke on startup.

soupy1957 said:
The test of how religious a home is about burning wood for heat, is how much kindling they have.

Lots of Kindling = they don't burn 24/7
Minimal amounts of kindling = they are wood heat "aholics"

-Soupy1957

I have loads of kindling, coz I love starting fires........ ;-)

soupy1957 said:
The test of how religious a home is about burning wood for heat, is how much kindling they have.

Lots of Kindling = they don't burn 24/7
Minimal amounts of kindling = they are wood heat "aholics"

-Soupy1957

Not religious in that sense Soupy but we do tend to have lots of kindling. Also, we do burn 24/7 as the wood heat is all we have. However, we do supply a few other folks with kindling too. Usually when I sell some wood I'll also include some kindling in addition to whatever they have purchased.

I have a friend with a saw mill who makes furniture etc. I have a lot of kindling on my porch. My wife likes it too. I agree it makes for faster starts when you get up in the morning and are getting ready for work etc. At the beginning of my first season, I placed too much emphasis on not letting the fire go out. That does not work so well on moderate days so starting a fire is nothing to me.

I see lumber scraps on CL with some regularity.

Make a fire everyday, so we go through lots of kindling. In addition to the stuff leftover from splitting and the twigs in the yard, I really like using cut-offs from 2x4s, 2x6s, etc. Scrounge all I can get. I've even found myself doing a little dumpster diving to get some. I'm always on the lookout for some good construction debris.

steeltowninwv said:
What do u guys and gals use for kindling?... do u split up ur hardwood for this?...use pine or what?

I use Western Red Cedar. If I haven't got any Western Red Cedar handy I'll just make matchsticks out of whatever I have on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.