Kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, how do you use it? By itself or with kindling wood?
I mostly fill the bag with shavings and few pieces from where I split and some bark from the cart.

I use yellow birch bark, that I collect from down, dead, and punky trees.
It just strips off in sheets, and the bark dries out in days.
It will burn when still wet!

Ash bark + the occasional spits from the kind of tree that you look at and it busts into 100 pieces. It really doesn't take much with a hot stove pretty much all winter.

Osage shavings are great kindling. Very oily. I think drawknifing any dry split would be a quick, fun way to get kindling

Osage shavings are great kindling. Very oily. I think drawknifing any dry split would be a quick, fun way to get kindling

Oh yeah...when I think "fun", I think "drawknifing" every time. :rolleyes:

Reactions: osagebow
Lol...don't knock it till ya try it-as cathartic as splitting- all ya need is a vise!

Just lightly yankin' yer chain. I have my grandfather's draw knife, and I do enjoy using it. But when I need kindling, out comes the 17" Fiskars.

Oh i know -I love that little fiskars- buddy brought one camping this past weekend. Better than the flooring hatchet I had!

A 1/4 of a SuperCedar, along with some splitter trash.

+1 After each splitting session I gather up the splitter trash and use that for my kindling. It aint pretty but it all burns and works well as kindling. Why waste it?

We have our new sample supercedars to try out this year. Still have a little cheapie fatwood sticks from HD left from last year. And PSA, we bought the WORST matches EVER this summer, in BULK. If you have Stop and Shop near you, do NOT buy their own brand of matches, they are awful.

We also picked up lots of sticks and twigs from the yard and woods this past winter (no snow!) and spring, and put them in moving boxes in the barn, so they are very dry now. Usually put a little piece or two of crumpled newspaper in too - my dad taught me with fireplaces to put ona at thr bottom of a little teepee of kindling, then a small log or split or 2, then another piece of crumpled newspaper on top to catch the draft. I know the woodstove drafts better anyway but old habits are hard to break.

Status
Not open for further replies.