Kinds of wood ..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumaz

Jul 23, 2008
NW CT
As I said in a previous post - total newb here.

Can someone list types/species of wood that are best to burn? Best to worst ? Is density a direct correlation in the list as well? Looking for a little education...

Dry wood is the very best. :)

In your neck of the woods, there are lots of choices. Oak, Ash, Maple are all nice to burn.

Denser wood has more energy in it, burns longer, and generally leaves better coals but often takes longer to dry properly.

In CT the densest wood you will have includes hickories (mostly pignut and shagbark) and black locust. Close behind you will have oaks (white, then red), white ash, hard/sugar maple. Then there's "mid grade" species. You can burn anything, however, if it's dry. Most are reduced to burning whatever they can get :)

I know a place in the Union CT area where the hickories are unbelievable. Some times of the year you fear for your safety with the nuts falling.

What about Pine ... ? I have some available at the moment... With the possibility of a LOT more in the future.

I know that thing about the nuts.. Hahahahahahahaaaaa... They are fun to mow!!

Thanks for the info!

White pine is about half the heat value per cord of oak, so you need more. Make sure it's dry- I think that people may have given it a bad reputation because it felt light and they assumed it was dry enough. If it's dry it's entirely fine

From best to worst I would have to list it as follows:

Free and delivered free.
Free and very local
Free and gotta drive a little
Free and gotta drive a lot
Low cost
medium cost
High cost.

Beyond that, dry and whatever you can get your hands on.

Check out this link for a btu chart: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

If you're scrounging ...it all burns well in the newer EPA stoves if seasoned. And I'm talking about leafed trees...not fern type Christmas trees. No dis intended I just have no experience burning with them.

Jags said:

Free and delivered free.
Free and very local
Low cost
medium cost
High cost.

Check out this link for a btu chart: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Brilliant!

These are the types of wood I've burned in CT here over the past 6 years. I've rated them from 1-3 in terms burn times and left over coals in the morning with my Oslo.

1. Hickory is the best (Pignut/Shagbark) it seasons faster than oak. It is like concreate when dry.
2. Oak is next on the list , but it takes a long time to season...esp White Oak
3. Birch/cherry/white ash/red maple/silver maple/SweetGum are next, ash seasons real fast, I've had good luck seasoning the rest in a pinch also.

WoodButcher

Drumaz said:
Jags said:

Free and delivered free.
Free and very local
Low cost
medium cost
High cost.

Brilliant!

i agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.