king 5500m draft issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuce01

Dec 25, 2013
va
First off I would just like to say that this site is great. I have learned a lot from trolling around in here. I learned how to adjust feed rate, fix my air wash and other cool stuff. On to my question. When I got my stove (used) it would run me out of my house is on HR1. Turn down the feed rate to 1.15 helped that a lot. Now I can't get it to heat at all. I can start it up and set it to HR3 and it will never heat up enough to turn the room fan on. I have the flashing - light for hours were it is trying to ramp up. The draft fan pulses on and off. Same as it has done since I installed it. I even manually set it to full speed and it still just pulses slowly. I ran the test as per the manual, on the draft test it would pulse on with the draft led lite. Then it would turn off and the on led would lite. This cycle never stopped. The rest of the test checked out good per manual. Any one have any advice? Thanks

Just my 2 cents worth,bypass vacuum switch and try running.
OK I will give that a shot. Looking at the sclematic it looks like it has two brown wires. Just connect them together? Or keep apart? And if it runs good bypassed I guess that means I'm in need of a switch then

Heck try both ways,I don't know this stove.Do not short wires to anything and you will not hurt anything.

OK, I tried both ways and got the same result. I did notice the last time I started it, there was a lot of smoke in the fire box while the pellets were trying to ignite. Some smoke started coming out from in behind the stove. So I guess my next step is to seal my exhaust pipes to the stove better. I don't see how this will effect the draft as it is after the blower. Unless it is not drawing like it should in between blower pulses. I still don't understand why draft speed one and draft speed nine are the same.

Wonder if you have a very dirty stove or restricted exhaust.
I have cleaned it a lot. Even behind the clean out doors in the burn box. Before I installed it I even took the the exh blower of and vac the pipe and blower. On my pipe, I have a 45 coming out of the stove, 2' of pipe out the wall to a T, then 3'-4' of vert pipe with a 90 and cap on it. I have checked the T clean out and it was OK. Stove was installed 3 weeks ago

Well i do not know that stove,was just looking in manual.You said it worked well before?What changed?Also reccomend start new thread,try king 5500 help in caption,may get better replys.Bob

Well i do not know that stove,was just looking in manual.You said it worked well before?What changed?Also reccomend start new thread,try king 5500 help in caption,may get better replys.Bob
What changed was it warmed up a few days and I had it shut down. When I fired it up I tried pellets from a diff brand. But whole time I had the stove the outside temp was never to low so it always was run on low. Now its a lot colder and it is having to run in a higher heat range to keep up. I just now cleaned it again and cchecked the pipes. Everything looks good. But I did find that with door open the exh fan will run at full speed. Check unhooking pressure sensor again and it will run at full speed. Sounding to me Luke it may be a faulty pressure switch.

One thing i did notice is that the vac switch had 2 nipples coming off of it. With what i have read on here about "how great quality control" is when this things are put together, It has be wondering if maybe the hose is hooked up to the wrong nipple and working backwards or something. I think i may try switching that out and see if it makes a diff. Do you have a favorite cheap parts store by any chance? Just in case i do have to buy a switch

You can jumper the two wires together and run the stove for testing,just do not leave unattended as it is a safety device.A lot of people that have stoves with that type of switch have reported blockages in the hose and at the nipple on the switch.I have an austroflamm,no such thing as cheap parts,just don't need many.Try to find a local dealer that sells parts for your stove,may cost more but may bail you out in future.

let me know if you had any resolve.

Ok I will let you know. Just now got home from work and the ash pot was overflowing with unburn pellets. On the plus side my house is 82 degrees. I'm shutting it down now to clean it out and try your settings you sugested

From what little time I had watch my stove on the new settings last night, it really seamed to run a lot better. It was almost blowing out the flame now. I had to turn turn up may auger rate a little and down a little on low draft. This morning everything looked good

Status
Not open for further replies.