King 5500m exhaust blower HELP!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boysovsumr

Mar 6, 2014
pa
Hi, everyone! Well, almost got through the winter with our 3-year old stove. Been cleaning it once or twice a week, and totally cleaning after every ton, oiling/w-d40'ing internal parts as necessary.

Started making noises. Got louder. Would make them, then not - for a while. Last week it shut off during the day and the house filled up with so much smoke, it was horrible. Took two days with door open for waste/pellets to cool down enough to clean. Latest start up Sunday, noises very very loud, flame aggressive . . . .and burning HOT! We adjusted the draft/heat range differential . . . .noises got less, but flame still aggressive. Finally, stove just went out - after window turned black due to high heat.

The noise was incredibly loud - stove in basement, heard them on second floor through drafts.

Right now not sure what the deal is - motor done or what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you have sides open so you could locate specifically where the noise was coming from? Ensure exhaust blower was turning? How long did it run before shut-down?

Sounds like the high limit switch did it's job...

it ran from about 11am to 5:30 pm . . . .rear panel was removed, and fan on left was turning and that seems where the sound was coming from . . . .when it wasn't loud, it was a whoosh, whoosh (a softer version of what we hear at start up). Thanks for any help!

Were you oiling the motors with the WD-40?

Don't have a can of WD-40 handy but isn't it for anti-seize? Might displace oil?

WD-40 is primarily a water displacer, but it will dissolve oils and grease. I think of it as kerosene in a can, although there is more to it than that. I use it to clean dirty parts and engines, and to prevent rust on tools. IMO, the OP shortened the life of his bearings by using WD, since it probably dissolved and removed the grease in the bearings.

WD does not stand up to heat, and I'm not aware of any anti seize properties it may have. IMO, there are far better products for anti seize uses.

When my auger motor got sluggish due to gummy bushings, I shot some WD in there as a temporary fix. It lasted maybe two hours before it quit, and the motor slowed again. The heat just dried it up. I couldn't see the oil points on the motor the way it was sitting, until I removed the motor. As Lake Girl says, blue can 3-in-1 oil works fine; the motor is running fine now that I've oiled it properly.

Just my 2¢.

Status
Not open for further replies.