king 5500m hot!! hot!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl2003rsx

Nov 4, 2014
Gaylord
I just traded my quadrafire 1500sqft stove for a king 5500 m 2200sqft stove. First off I have a 1600sqft modular. Metal roof with insulation board under nether. Quadrature didn't reach one end of the house (master bed and bath) so I went bigger. I burn propellets highest heat around lowest ash. Now my problem on heat 1 room fan 1or 2 and draft fan 2 or 3 (one higher than the room fan) its burring my thermostats 90°+ weather its 20° outside or 40° and it heats the house to that in a matter of 2-3 hours! Its a nice stove and pushes a ton of heat but not as user friendly as my quadrafire (hooked to thermostate lights and shuts off when needed) I have read hundreds of threads and reviews just joined this to maybe get some help... Auto setting on everything is just as bad... Its nice but my women and Lil man arnt liking it at all oh and propane furnace just went out completely. Help please!

So are you saying you can't hook it up to a thermostat?

So are you saying you can't hook it up to a thermostat?
We'll I read reviews on it and it says u can but it won't turn on and off it will just adjust the settings from hi to low as needed but I'm running the lowest possible settings 1-1-2 heat range room fan and draft fan... Its going over 90 and my thermostats for the propane (shows heat in the house) is two rooms away reaching 90+

Sounds like you got an oversized stove to heat with. It's gonna make the shoulder season real hard to deal with. Once the weather gets colder then things should get better. What was the reason for getting rid of the Quad? They make a really nice stove.

Reactions: Darryl2003rsx
Sounds like you got an oversized stove to heat with. It's gonna make the shoulder season real hard to deal with. Once the weather gets colder then things should get better. What was the reason for getting rid of the Quad? They make a really nice stove.

The quadra was really nice ash pot and everything but only heated the two bedrooms in front of it, living room and the kitchen dinning room stayed fairly warm but the master bed of the dinning room and master bath (behind the kitchen) really didn't get much heat at all. And it only held 1 bag of pellets I work two full time jobs sometimes up to 48-56 hours in a row going back and forth for my shifts. The quadra didn't have any hot surfaces either (besides the glass) u could touch it all.. This one not so much haha with the Lil man and women I wanted to make sure I could heat the whole house with it (pipes froze in my master bath last year and main water line underneath my bedroom. I've insulated the lines now and insulated two vents that pointed directly to my waterlines so that should help with that. Love the heat just wish I could get it a Lil more controlled. I've only used heat 1 I couldn't imagine what kinda heat this thing can through out on heat 5 lol

Darryl the feed rate on HR 1 can be adjusted down some for you. This should help you run it low and not heat you out of the house. When adjusting the Feed rate down you should also adjust the combustion fan rate down too. This will also allow you to hook up a T-Stat as well.

Darryl the feed rate on HR 1 can be adjusted down some for you. This should help you run it low and not heat you out of the house. When adjusting the Feed rate down you should also adjust the combustion fan rate down too. This will also allow you to hook up a T-Stat as well.

How do I got about adjusting the feed rate?

Ok the adjustment are for only HR1(low) and HR5(high) the inbetween HR (2-4) are equally balanced from the high and low. The feed rates: To adjust the low end feed press and hold HR down arrow and Aux down arrow at the same time until a number appears (3.00 most likely) this is the feed rate. use the Aux arrows to adjust ON to save the adjustment and off to exit adjustment mode. The high end you would press and hold the HR up arrow and the Aux up arrow and follow the same as above. Once you adjust the feed rate you'll have to adjust the air as well. To do so press and hold the draft fan down arrow and the Aux down arrow at the same time. This will be the low end draft fan. The high end draft fan you would press and hold the Draft fan up arrow and the Aux up arrow. These numbers can be set from 0 to 500. Think of 500 as 100%....so 100 would be like 20%. When adjusting the air always use the flame as a guide. A bright white flame is too much air and a lazy orange flame is too little. It could take a few fine adjustment to get to the "sweet" spot. Let me know how you make out.

Ok the adjustment are for only HR1(low) and HR5(high) the inbetween HR (2-4) are equally balanced from the high and low. The feed rates: To adjust the low end feed press and hold HR down arrow and Aux down arrow at the same time until a number appears (3.00 most likely) this is the feed rate. use the Aux arrows to adjust ON to save the adjustment and off to exit adjustment mode. The high end you would press and hold the HR up arrow and the Aux up arrow and follow the same as above. Once you adjust the feed rate you'll have to adjust the air as well. To do so press and hold the draft fan down arrow and the Aux down arrow at the same time. This will be the low end draft fan. The high end draft fan you would press and hold the Draft fan up arrow and the Aux up arrow. These numbers can be set from 0 to 500. Think of 500 as 100%....so 100 would be like 20%. When adjusting the air always use the flame as a guide. A bright white flame is too much air and a lazy orange flame is too little. It could take a few fine adjustment to get to the "sweet" spot. Let me know how you make out.
Thank you i downloaded all the manuals and I'd not see anything about this!! I'll try it as soon as I get home I appreciate it a lot Thank you!

Best thing I found is to keep a small notebook by the stove in the beginning so you can note the setting and the effects to dial it in.

Excellent tips!

Best thing I found is to keep a small notebook by the stove in the beginning so you can note the setting and the effects to dial it in.
I was messing with it a little today between jobs... Fuel rate on low is set to 1.75 and draft fan 100. Didn't mess with them yet tho
On high the fuel rate is 4.5 and draft fan is 300.... Didn't have time to play with it yet tho

Figured out this weekend if you need to run HR-1 and want clean glass, set the Draft Fan manually to 3. Ran like this for hours with almost no black buildup on the glass.

Reactions: Owen1508
Status
Not open for further replies.