King 5510 Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love reading the comments / reviews.............Here is what I have learned, and think about the stove............Maybe it will help somebody out.

1. Keep stove pipe venting to a minimal, straight out thru wall is best if possible....I have a 2 foot section on rear of stove that goes thru wall, and that is it...
2. Pellets make a huge difference......I have access to pellets that burn for a week straight without cleaning stove, but they do not output any heat...........I buy Lignetics from Tractor Supply and the heat output is amazing but I need to clean burnpot every 3-5 days..
3. I turned up the setting on the Draft Fan to around 400, the more it runs, the less the burnpot fills up.....Its true it sucks out some extra heat, but I live with that....ALso, it sends a lot more ash outside and reuires less cleaning of stove.........
4. The pellet feed rate needs to be decreased from factory settings, depending on your pellet brand......1.4 is a really good starting point, and gets you going...This will allow the stove to run on Heat Range 1,2,3 without clogging the burnpot.............Heat Range 4 and 5, the burnpot clogs up every 2-3 days, that is my best I could achieve with good pellets......
5. Other than normal scraping/cleaning of the burnpot, every few weeks I put it in the kitchen sink with hot water and dish soap......After soaking for 20 minutes, all the junk that will not scrape off literally falls off on its own.........A brillo pad makes it look even better !!!!!!!!
6. My draft/exhaust fan is always making random noises, changes by the day..........Has anybody ever taken one apart and cleaned or lubricated ???? I would love to know if anybody tried this......Please repsond if you have.......
7. If you have an original motherboard/control board, get it replaced with current board....DO not know the part number, but this eliminated so many of my stupid problems.....Ignitor works better, stove starts better, etc.........The original boards were terrible........
8. Very important.....When shutting down the stove for cleaning, open the top lid for 3-4 minutes before pushing the off button..........This stops the pellet flow, and burns most of the junk out of the burnpot......This should be done with software on the control board, but it does not work that well..........
9. Been using stove 1.5 seasons so far.............Replaced 3 ignitors, repalced motherboard, replaced door seal becasue door is not square to the front of stove, lid on top does not fit properly and needs to be jiggled to close, replaced room fan/blower, exhaust blower/fan always makes terrible noise................The money I thought I would save has been spent on my time fixing/cleaning/improving stove...............Yes, cleaning a pellet stove every 3-4 days sure beats tending a wood/coal stove every 12 hours, and is much cleaner, but I would have to admit this pellet stove is not saving much money, if you factor in the trouble............
10. I am on track to burn 6 tons of pellets this year...........Heating approximately 1300 sq feet.....Paying $225 a ton for Lignetics at Tractor Supply.....This means hauling a ton of pellets a month, if you have a full size pickup........If you do not have a full size truck, be prepared to haul pellets more often....I live in NE Pennsylvania...
11. If thinking about buying this stove, do not place it within 15-20 feet of kitchen/living room or anywhere you watch tv or hang out.......The noise is very annoying when the stove is functioning great, but when the blower issues start it is almost unbearable...........I have mine in an office that is centrally located, and we only use as a pass thru room for storage......Last year we had it in our kitchen, and that was horrible...........Even when I shut the stove down to clean, it is like I have "super-hearing", because I can hear so many other noises that I forgot were inside/outside my house......
12. I clean mine with a standard shop vac, once a week, takes about 5-10 minutes...........After a good cleanout the shop vac needs to be disassembled and cleaned itself...........I do not mind this part, but it is definitley an extra chore and somewhat messy cleaning pellet ash out of a shop-vac.....I clean shop vac outside with a garden hose, then I lay the shop vac in front of my coal stove in garage overnite to dry out......Midway thru the week, I shut pellet stove down and scrape out the burnpot and clean the glass, takes about 2-3 minutes for this minimal cleaning............
13. Stove is OK, and heats well...........No regrets on buying it due to the fact that I feel better not using oil from the Middle East !!!!!!!! But on the downside, it can be a lot of work when you factor in troubleshooting/learning/cleaning/etc......I am a stay at home Dad, and I have the time to maintain it but if I was a normal working guy, it would drive me crazy...The hours I have spent dealing with this stove is overwhelming, could not imagine a working dad with a family handling it.....You definitely get what you pay for, a cheap stove is a cheap stove...........$3000 - $4000 for a high end stove is tough for most people to afford though, wish the government would have chipped in more with the tax credits for purchasing !!!!!!!!!!
14. I am really not sure about the guys adding height to their burnpot, I have never found an unburnt pellet in my stove after decreasing my pellet feed rate.......I must be one of the lucky ones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My stove must be one of the few that does not bounce pellets....If I had that problem I would have scrapped it by now....Even when the burnpot gets clogged near the top after 4-5 days, the pellets still do not bounce out, I wish I could say why but I can't.......
15. Well, this is just my thoughts and what works for me.......If anybody has thoughts on cleaning/lubricating exhaust blower please let me know...If anybody has questions, I would be glad to answer, with my thoughts.........Thanks Kenny

Attachments

• DSC08872.jpg
    DSC08872.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 762
  • DSC08871.jpg
    DSC08871.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 766
Im gonna purchase a 5510 this week and I jsut wanted to find out if its a smart idea to hook the exhaust up to my old chimeny pipe since it is very accesable to where the stove is gonna be places. Any thoughts please trow them at me.

If you have no other choice, vent it into chimney. The problem is that the exhaust blower will have a hard time pushing the ash uphill into a chimney. From the minute that the stove begins to burn, ash will start accumulating in the pipe, and also where pipe enters the chimney at adapter . As the pipe that goes into the chimney starts to block up, that means more ash will be leftover inside the stove. As it loses its ability to breathe, that means the burn pot will clog. WHen the burn pot clogs, not only do you waste pellets, but stove will not put out as much heat. I know the specs on the stove say that you can do a couple bends with the exhaust pipe, but if you do, you should definitely remove and clean monthly. Cleaning anything wood pellet ash related is very messy and dirty.
If you have the option of running a straight 2 or 3 foot length of pipe thru wall, do it.. I have a 2 foot length of pipe going straight thru wall to outside of house, using a special collar . Nothing more !!!!! WHat this does is makes almost all the ash go outside. I have no pipe connections to clean out, and I feel much safer knowing there is not ash accumulating in an elbow that I can not see inside. Every few weeks, I will stick a small stick in the exhaust pipe and scrape out the ash from the outside of the house.
I fought with this stove for an entire season, because I was venting into a chimney. It was nothing but a headache....The pellets wouldnt burn, burn pot would clog, my exhaust pipe would block. I talked to a pellet stove installer from our area, and he told me to go with the 2 foot pipe thru the wall solution. Of course this can only be done if mounting on an outside wall, and you need to be above ground level. But if it works, do it...
After I switched over from my chimney to the "thru the wall" solution, it was amazing how much easier it became to take care of....
Also, its not the greatest stove. If you can afford a better stove like a Harman, get a Harman or other quality name. But if you want a cheap stove to play with, its pretty good.

meatis20b said:
Im gonna purchase a 5510 this week and I jsut wanted to find out if its a smart idea to hook the exhaust up to my old chimeny pipe since it is very accesable to where the stove is gonna be places. Any thoughts please trow them at me.

You need to stop posting the same/similar questions on multiple threads.....I responded to you about this in another thread, as have others.

Post the question(s) in 1 thread of your own, and get all the responses there.

Im not sure i did this right but here goes! I bought a used king pellet stove 5510 model and i read this forum and tried different settings and am still haveing problams with it, soi have my stove set on hr 2 and draft fan 4 and my low range pellet feed is set to 1.45 and high is 3.5. My blower speed low is 100 and high is 335. Now my question is my flame goes from high to low and so low its not even above the burn pot is that fine or what should i do? It seems to keep my room its in at like 77 and the rest of home around 70 degrees! So heats great so far!! Its only been running for 2hrs so waiting to see how the ash build up is going to be any other settings so far ive had to clean the burn pot from ash every 12 hrs or less, not good. Any ideas to what i should set it at or do? I live in new york state and my house size i heat is like 1200 sq foot and very old

Im not sure i did this right but here goes! I bought a used king pellet stove 5510 model and i read this forum and tried different settings and am still haveing problams with it, soi have my stove set on hr 2 and draft fan 4 and my low range pellet feed is set to 1.45 and high is 3.5. My blower speed low is 100 and high is 335. Now my question is my flame goes from high to low and so low its not even above the burn pot is that fine or what should i do? It seems to keep my room its in at like 77 and the rest of home around 70 degrees! So heats great so far!! Its only been running for 2hrs so waiting to see how the ash build up is going to be any other settings so far ive had to clean the burn pot from ash every 12 hrs or less, not good. Any ideas to what i should set it at or do? I live in new york state and my house size i heat is like 1200 sq foot and very old
turn your draft down to 3,if it still does it try 2...you might have to turn your feed up a little, i use 1.60 low and 4.00 high but i fine tune for different pellets. anyway the rule of thumb for draft is same as heat range or one higher depends on pellets

Reactions: Oliver6
We just got a used 5510 pellet stove and are having some issues with it and was wondering if anyone could help. So first i will just ask 1 question. The dash on the heat range display never stops blinking. The book says that th stove is in the normal run mode and is ramping from the current heat range setting to the target heat range settings. Once the ramp is complete the dash will stop flashing. But ours never stops flashing Can anyone suggest anything?

My husband and I have just purchased the 5510 model a few weeks ago. This thread has been helping immensely. We did have a question on the control panel. In this thread it says what C-1 to C-5 are for, which is great. What are the rest of them? What about C-6 through C-21?? The original manual sucks. If anyone knows it would be great to know what other settings we could change.

I have been messing with mine none stop for about 18 hours (cleaning once already) and its been nothing but a headache, I have the feed turned down all the way to .65 and the draft fan running wide open with a fan shooting air into the intake tube and its still over flowing the burn pot on level 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.