King model K26 insert questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xashen

Nov 13, 2013
Hello,

I recently purchased a used King model K26 and have a few questions about it. I've been unable to find any information on it through Google and was wondering if anyone here may be able to help me out.

This is my first fireplace insert, I'm pretty excited! I live out in the country and have tons of wood to burn. Here's a picture taken just after installing it:

Kj1ltgk.jpg

1. The damper on top is just a rectangular hole about the same size as my chimney, not a 6" diameter hole like most of the ones I've seen. The previous owner had just slid it into the fireplace with no liner, so I did the same. Am I supposed to install a liner and somehow connect a 6" pipe?

2. The damper on top is stuck and won't slide back and forth. When I first brought it home it was stuck, so I knocked it loose, cleaned it, and used some high-temp lube to help it slide, but it got stuck again after the first burn. I think what's happening is it gets twisted a bit and slides into the walls. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

3. There doesn't seem to be any way to control the air going in, there's just open holes on the bottom and sides of the door. It doesn't look like it's missing any parts, just designed this way. Should I make something to plug those holes to get less airflow when needed?

4. There aren't any firebricks inside the insert. I've seen some stoves online that have them, should I buy some and stack them on sides?

Thanks for any help, looking forward to being a part of this community!

Last edited:
Slammer installations are no longer approved. The stove should at least be connected to the chimney with a short stub and damper sealing block off plate or better yet with a full liner for safest operation. This will require attaching a rectangle to round adapter plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.