King Pellet Stove Help New

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

superdutypsd

Jan 14, 2016
Lancaster, Pa
Hello,

I am new to this site and joined in search for help with a New King Pellet stove i Purchased back around thanks giving and finally installed that weekend after christmas, i always burned wood and have a wood stove and bought the pellet stove to swap in its place to burn 24/7 as which i can not seem to do with my wood stove.

So heres my questions i need help with, i have been running the stove on 5 and it doesn't seem to be putting out that much heat compared to the wood stove, the burn pot flame keeps going down to nothing, then flaming back up i can not get a constant burn. how can i adjust the feed rate and draft fan proporitaly to maximize the heat out put and keep a constant flame.

right now i just run the settings on auto, as when on manual the draft fan does not see to change, i have cut the air wash gasket, and i have 90* elbow, then 4' up straight, then another 90* elbow in to my chimney.

stove has been working fine, and flawlessly, with no codes, but i would like to learn how to adjust this thing efficiently as i am new to pellet and know nothing.

thank you
andrew

Is it the King 5502M?

That stove on 5 should be so damned hot, you can barely stand next to it.

This winter, when the temps get into the low 20's, I have to bump mine from HR1 to HR2. I run all settings on auto unless I have crap pellets, then I adjust the draft (dF) setting.

What brand pellets are you running?

From what I understand, you are just venting into a chimney? I assume into the old hole where the wood stove was?

On setting HR5, how hot is the air coming out of the vent. No temp reading needed, just something like "it's lukewarm" or "so hot I can't keep my hand there".

whoaa here a stove made for me the Pellet King!

Is it the King 5502M?

That stove on 5 should be so damned hot, you can barely stand next to it.

This winter, when the temps get into the low 20's, I have to bump mine from HR1 to HR2. I run all settings on auto unless I have crap pellets, then I adjust the draft (dF) setting.

What brand pellets are you running?

From what I understand, you are just venting into a chimney? I assume into the old hole where the wood stove was?

On setting HR5, how hot is the air coming out of the vent. No temp reading needed, just something like "it's lukewarm" or "so hot I can't keep my hand there".

I have been running the stove on #5 24/7 for the past weeks, it blows out warm to hot air, i have actually used a laser thermo. and you can hold your hand infront of the vent for as long as you want, it is hot air coming out but when i put my hand infront of the vent and shoot the laser at my hand it was reading like 120 degrees, now when i shoot the laser at the vents it was reading 200 but i know i can not get an accurate reading like that.

We have been in the low/mid 30 during day, and low 20s at night, and i have been running it on 5 i wish i could run on 1 or 2 or even 3. it i a king 5502m and says its good for 2200 square foot, my house isn't that old and is very well insulated, its a cape cod maybe around 1800 square foot.

i am using the pellets from tractor supply. the stove venting is a 90 degree right off the unit, the 5' straight up then another 90 degree, thru a wall thimble into the chimney about 15". the chimney has a 6" thru way with a clean out below the 6" clay thru way and then the chimney is clay line rectangles, has no issues with getting draft.

i do not know anything about pellet stoves, before this i was using a wood stove my whole time, which was a smaller unit than this pellet stove, within 2 hours of burning when i got home from work i could have the house in the mid 75, i could very well get the house to 90 and have it between 70s-high 80s. just from the wood. the pellet stove have been running for 3 weeks straight on hr5 and i can nearly keep the house at 68-70 degrees with it running.

not sure how much heat and how well this pellet stove is suppose to do but it really just kind of got cold here into the 30s and its struggling to keep the house at 68 on #5 and auto settings running 24/7. so when it is full winter this stove maybe useless to me.

how can i get more heat from it and adjust the feed rate? what are they #s suppose to be at, feed rate, and draft fan, on auto the flame seems to fluctuate to much goes up and down, it is not a constancy burn and flame, some time it will go down to nothing but hot embers in burn pot and then dump more pellets and flame up then go do to nothing again, the draft fan seems to be blowing so hard it blows the coals up out of hopper.

i do not have a fresh air kit and the draft intake is just whatever is in the house, also everything appears to work as it should and i have no errors code, just a little disappoint and thought this thing would put out some heat just as good if not better than my wood stove with the benefits of being able to run thru the night and 24/7

thank you andrew

OK, let me look up how to go into "Service Mode" so you can adjust the feed rate. Sounds like it's not feeding enough pellets. The only setting the flame should go down into the pot, is HR1. On 1 the flame does die down into the pot until more pellets drop. However, all the other settings should have a steady flame that is "stoked" by the draft fan pulsing. If you're not getting error codes like you say, then we just need to up the feed rate. Give me a few to find the document.

EDIT: On HR5, the draft fan causing embers to fly up is normal. It's how it keeps the pot cleared since HR5 is supposed to drop a good amount of pellets.

OK here you go. Try not to mess with the draft fan settings too much, other than to verify they are correctly set to default. A good step in troubleshooting would be to do the C-1 reset mentioned below first. See if resetting to defaults helps first. The other settings can be changed while running. Keep in mind once you change the feed rates, it takes about 30 minutes to notice the change, it is not instant.

15. Adjusting Operational Constants

To adjust the operation constants, press and hold the MODE and AUGER DELAY buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds.

The display will show "C- 1".

Use the HEAT RANGE UP or HEAT RANGE DOWN buttons to change the constant number (see the list of values below).

When the desired constant is displayed, press the ON button to toggle between viewing and editing the value. While editing a parameter, use the AUX UP and AUX DOWN buttons to adjust the value to the desired point, then press ON again to return to the constant number list. Press the OFF button to exit the adjust operational constants mode.

C- 1 - Reset to defaults (hold Mode and Auger Delay buttons for 3 seconds to reset all to defaults)

C- 2 - Fuel Lbs Per Hour HR 1 (0-5.0) - This is the fuel rate in pounds per hour for a heat range setting of 1. The default is 1.75lbs.

C- 3 - Fuel Lbs Per Hour HR 9 (0-5.0) - This is the fuel rate in pounds per hour for a heat range setting of 5. The default is 4.5lbs. The fuel rates used between settings 1 and 5 are linearly interpolated between these two settings.

C- 4 - Draft Fan Level HR 1 (0-500) - This is the Draft fan output level for a draft fan setting of 1. The default is 100/500.

C- 5 - Draft Fan Level HR 9 (0-500) - This is the Draft fan output level for a draft fan setting of 9. The default is 300/500.

EDIT: Firepotpete gave me another idea in another thread. You may have to look at the back of the control board and make sure there is a jumper across the TSTAT pins. If the jumper is gone, the stove thinks there is no call for heat from a T-stat and will run at the lowest setting, no matter what HR setting you are at. When in TSTAT mode, the HR setting is the upper limit the stove will ramp up to when there is a call for heat. Once the desired temp is hit, the stove goes to HR1 for a maintenance burn until there is another call.

It's not hard to get to in order to see if it is there or not.

See image below for the jumper mentioned. The yellow arrow. Don't worry about the rest unless you want to hook a Tstat up.

Thermostat hook 4 digit.jpg

Last edited:
Ok i accessed all these perameters on the control boar and this is how they are set excactly.

How much should i move the feed rates up.
Should i bother with the draft fans settings.

Also l see that some people rather not use the auto settings, and just run the draft fan on #1-2 no mater heat setting or run draft fan 2 numbers higher to heat setting. Is this correct or no

Did you verify the Tstat jumper?

Yes there is a tstate jumper.

So far iv movied the low feed to 2.25 and the high to 4.75
The blower low end to 125 and the high end to 325

So far every setting seems to working better and putting more heat out, but i still am having to run on #4 & #5 but when i run on 5 i still get an inconstant burn and the flame burns up and then down to nothing, if i turn the feed up high the stove seems to go into a shut down or over temp shut down which i dont under why it would do this at the feed rate at 5.0 lb per hr seems useless

Can someone direct me to what the the lower limits for draft and pellets per hour should be and what the higher limits for draft and pellets should be., say if i want to use 5.0 lb per hour for hr #5 or close to it.

Is there a way to change or addjust over temp limit.

On #5 with feed at 4.75 it seems to start out good and go as it should you can hear the stove getting hot, but after some time the feed becaomes inconstant or delayed maybe and the flame goes up and do from burning good to nothing

#4 seems to be highest heat setting working properly, were in the mid 20's down here in lancaster pa and this stove is struggling to keep the house at 67 durning the day

Not to bring up an old topic from years ago but I cant help but wonder. Has anybody had issues with their pellet stove ramping up with heat and then dying down as if it's being cut off ? King delux 5500 stove. Have temp gauge on door and cant get above 450 degrees(previously ran at 650)

Where do you want to have this discussion?
Answered you on the other threat as well...
Now i know what your 450/650 values are since you here say degrees and temp gauge...
starting on setting 3 the fire does not bog down anymore, but with one its mostly bogged down with some spikes in flames and on two it is pretty even
Never had to run on 5...
Crappy pellets?
Blocked/clogged air in or outlet?
Cleaned out "two little secret chambers" on the burnchamber back wall?

Sorry for the confusion between post locations I'm just eager to get this fixed. I've cleaned all areas I know of. I checked the exhaust exit as far as air out of stove and it's very clean. The air in seems ok I think. The stove went great and then i blew a ignitor fuse and replaced that with the right one and now it just ramps up like its going to run how it had and then dies down and stops dropping pellets and then ramps back up and does the same thing over and over