1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Kingsford in coal stove

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by cogger, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cogger

cogger New Member

Has anyone here ever tried BBQ charcoal in there coal oven for heat! It's something I have yet to try. But I am pleased with the Bio Bricks I have been using in my VC Coal Intrepid.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    you'll be disappointed because they don't have nearly the same density as a lump of regular coal. Sure it will work, but for the price of kingsford per bag and the heat you'll get, it certainly won't be worth it. You'd be better suited to buying a regular bag of coal.
  3. Gibbonboy

Gibbonboy New Member

I used charcoal briquettes to light my Alaska stoker. I would get some charcoal going in my "chimney starter", then lay 10-12 of them on the feed ramp, and cover with coal and turn the blowers on. More consistent than wood, and less smoke. But no real heat to speak of.
  4. trb157

trb157 New Member

I use charcoal to start my Harman too. About 7 briquettes, match, presto. I used to screw around with kindlin, etc. Charcoal has little fly ash and burns completely by the time the coal is feeding into the ash pan
  5. cogger

cogger New Member

I was thinkin they would make great starters
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.