Kitchen relocation and baseboard heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbin

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
So. Me.
I wish to relocate a kitchen to what is presently a tiny "bedroom" (just under 10x10') with baseboard heat on 2 outside walls (E&S), this will open the area to the living room which has plenty of baseboard and new insulation. To do so I will have to rip out paneling (allowing changes to wiring and revealing crummy insulation) and re-route the existing baseboard to accommodate cabinetry. There is a full basement under the "bedroom/kitchen" area and I'm not sure if I ought to be worried about pipes freezing on the outside east wall (sink will go there surrounded by cabinetry). My home is in NH and is in gardening zone 5; -10F, I've seen -20, but only once and there was plenty of snowpack. The heating system is an oil-fired boiler (new) that circulates coolant over 3 zones. Should I be concerned about frozen pipes to the sink or does the full basement reduce the likelihood of a freeze of domestic water?

Putting pipes in an exterior wall is never a good idea. Can't you run them up through the floor not the wall?

I'm sorry I didn't make that clear in my original post. Yes, the pipes will be run inside the insulated east wall and well within the full basement that is "warm".

Its hard to say based on your description. Water pipes in exterior walls tend to freeze even if the walls are insulated. How likely they are to freeze depends upon exterior temps, insulation, exterior envelope air sealing, and how much interior heat is available to them from the under sink area, and in your case, the basement.

One relatively quick and inexpensive way to prevent freezing is to wrap them with heat cable that can be powered during cold spells or if you notice freeze-up. You could install the heat cable so that the power plug hangs into the basement so that it can be connected to a nearby outlet or extension cord.

Why would the pipes be in the wall? Most kitchen sinks are not in a wall, but built into the cabinetry which is normally at least a ft and sometimes 2 feet out from any wall.

Almost all kitchens are up against an outside wall without the plumbing going into the wall.

Just run the plumbing through the floor under sink into the basement like every other kitchen! Why go into the wall, seems like a foolish and more expensive plan.

Oh no! the domestic water pipes would not be inside the wall, they'd be run inside of the already insulated wall and over a full cellar! (my father was a plumber). I am toying with whether or not to rent the home seasonally or year 'round and am not sure if I ought to add heat to kick space or simply trust that replacing inadequate insulation and a full basement will provide adequate insulation to prevent freezing in the event of a year 'round rental. Thanks for your thoughts and insight.

as long as theres no penetrations to the outside, you keep the plumbing in the conditioned space, and the temp at a reasonable setting you should be ok. I let my house go down into the 50's on the regular with no problems.

Thanks for your insight you guys. Pipes servicing the present kitchen (also on the east wall) never froze, but if I'm going to relocate the kitchen and have to dick around with cutting/rerouting the baseboard heat it's always smart to ask about such things... it's easier to plan for it than have to react to it!

could always run some pipe insulation if you felt it necessary

Don't know if this could help you, but I did not know these existed until I remodeled and wanted to put cabinets on a wall with existing baseboard heat. I forget the specs but they make up for several feet of baseboard (mine replaced about 10' of baseboard) and have a fan that comes on once it comes to temp. Mine worked very well and was quiet for the 5 or so years I had it. They install under the cabinet behind the kick plate.

RTG_WHIII9000.jpg

Every house I've lived in (10+) had pipes in exterior walls (not by my doing BTW) even sometimes in cases where there were basements below.
Maybe its a regional thing? Maybe cabinets are easier to install? I don't know.
In 2 houses we simply left the sink cabinet doors open during cold weather to prevent freezing.

If you are doing a tile floor you could also consider radiant heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.