Q&A kiva fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hello! My husband and I just returned from a trip to Taos- New Mexico where we visited the Taos Pueblo and were charmed by the kiva fireplaces used by the Pueblo people. We would like to build one in our family room and were wondering if there are plans available for one. Also- we were wondering if there were fireplace inserts that could be adapted to work with this style. We would appreciate any information you can find for us about building kiva fireplaces.

Answer:

Stumped me again...Never heard of these fireplaces. I assume they are some type of earth or ceramic fireplace. There are large soapstone and masonry stoves available (Tulikivi is one such brand)- but none would fit into an existing fireplace...rather they are fireplaces in themselves.
http://www.mha-net.org has information on all types of these masonry fireplaces.

Link: Masonry Heater Trade Group

Status
Not open for further replies.