Knee surgery done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stihltheone

Nov 21, 2009
Wyoming
5 Hours is the OR and holy buckets, it is hurtin. I have to wear a hinged knee brace til????? Not sure how I am going to get my sa chaps over it. Dr just looked at me like I had been drinking when I made that comment. Tis is really a bummer. I have 10 cords ready to split just waiting.

stihltheone said:
5 Hours is the OR and holy buckets, it is hurtin. I have to wear a hinged knee brace til????? Not sure how I am going to get my sa chaps over it. Dr just looked at me like I had been drinking when I made that comment. Tis is really a bummer. I have 10 cords ready to split just waiting.

Glad to hear you came through the operation, hope you heal with very little pain.

zap

Good luck with the new repairs!! If you were closer I would visit and split some for you!

Hang in there! It gets better AFTER the physical therapy!!

My Grandma is 88 years old and she's still burning wood. She had both knees done 10 years ago. Loads the wood on and old children's wagon, and takes it up a ramp into the house at night.

reliable sources say do the therapy now and it will pay you back later!

All the best,
Mike

That's a long surgery! You'll be better in a few mos. but I understand you wanting to get out in the woodpile.. If lived near you I'd help you with your wood..

Best Wishes for a Speedy Recovery!

Ray

+1 on doing as much therapy now as you can afford. Ice will be your buddy for quite a while--the inflamation will get in the way of your flexibility training. I had an ACL done about a year and a half ago--OUCH--one thing nobody mentioned to me was to be careful how much strain you put on your good leg by favoring it, I have intermittent pain there now, although my post-op knee is in great shape. My surgeon and PT were not impressed that as soon as the hinge on my brace got unlocked, I was laying tile and cork floors in the house, but I was careful and all is now well. What material did you decide on for the reconstruction? Take care, and watch out for slippery surfaces this winter.

muncybob said:
Good luck with the new repairs!! If you were closer I would visit and split some for you!
+1

I'v never seen Wyoming, pay my airfare and I'll split your wood. Leaving from Newark NJ.

WNCburner said:
+1 on doing as much therapy now as you can afford. Ice will be your buddy for quite a while--the inflamation will get in the way of your flexibility training. I had an ACL done about a year and a half ago--OUCH--one thing nobody mentioned to me was to be careful how much strain you put on your good leg by favoring it, I have intermittent pain there now, although my post-op knee is in great shape. My surgeon and PT were not impressed that as soon as the hinge on my brace got unlocked, I was laying tile and cork floors in the house, but I was careful and all is now well. What material did you decide on for the reconstruction? Take care, and watch out for slippery surfaces this winter.
The Dr used my hammy, it feels like my 660 with full comp RSC tore into it. Man this hurts. He did not full lock the hinge on this brace it will more some, I guess that is because of the little motorized basket that it is supposedto be in at all times. I have gotton to like the soothing feeling of the little motion machine though. Getting sore spots on my elbos and butt from laying there though. I am still having mixed feelings on this surgery, damn I am uncomfortable. 4 days "down" and 10 to go......... not sure if I will make it that far. Well the leg is throbbing again already, back to the machine.

Yep, time your bathroom trips! I would actually make a plan it hurt so much...three years later its not as strong but I do everything I want to. I think it was a full 2 years before it would not swell fast and slow me down. Deer hunting this year I walked 36 miles per the gps in KY. It was only stiff the last day. Time heals...

Sounds like a rough surgery and we feel for you and hope you heal quickly.

I know what you mean about the doctors. When I had a hip replacement I asked the doctor how long before I could climb trees. He thought I was crazy (probably right). I set a tree stand about 6 weeks after surgery.

Not that this will make you feel any better, but my wife is a nurse who has worked just about every floor and department in the hospital and she said knee replacement surgeries were among the most painful for many patients . . . that said . . . focus on your recovery and get well soon . . . because you have a goal and wood to cut and that will most certainly help.

i'm not in your shoes, and can't even begin to understand your pain. that being said....suck it up, nancy.

seriously, though, hopefully this short term pain will translate into feeling better than you did before. there's nothing worse than the chronic pain you were coming from, just remember that when you are trying to do a one legged squat down onto the toilet. get well soon. post back recovery updates every once in a while so we can keep tabs on that knee.

I feel for you. My roomy after I had my hip replaced had both knees done, he was a puffin' the whole time they had the machines on his legs to bend the knees. That said, knowing an older woman that had hers done a few years back, the results are worth it. It beats not walking. Doubt that helps. Too bad they can't give you the IV painkiller during therapy, that sure works good. Where are you in WY? I'm outside of Newcastle, the County seat of Weston Co., holler if you need something if you're local.
Wayne

stihltheone said:

The Bleadsoe brace is better than a totally enclosed one - you won't itch as much! I had mine done almost a year ago (Dec.9th 08) and a meniscus done in September '08. DO NOT attempt to drive in the first week - it WILL cause you excruciating pain!!!
I had a "doaner," read as cadaver, Achilles tendon to replace my torn to shreds ACL. Now I feel like Herman Munster or Frankenstein. Put back together with someone elses parts and a few drywall screws! :)

Figure AT LEAST 6 weeks in that thing; 4 of which should be locked at 0deg, if you're not on/in the C.P.M. machine.

What I did is keep the ice pack/frozen green beans/ what ever frozen vegs that where in the freezer at the time, in close contact (single layer towel) while I was using the CPM. I has the wife get me some bungee cords, and later 2-sided velcro, to keep the ice on my knee.

At least you WiFi - I didn't get mine up right in time ;-)

P.T. - DO NOT WAIT - I did, unfortunately, until AFTER the holidays. In hindsight, I would have gone to P.T. a week after, instead of waiting three...

Keep up with the P.T. - IT IS YOUR NEW RELIGION!!!! at least for the first 4 months!
I even went and spent the coin for a WII + Fit. It was a part of PT at their office, and I did it on my days away.

If your insurance Co. limits your visits, YELL AT THEM!! You may only get a few PT visits here and there, but use them.
I had 26 +1 consult/eval initially, then was "allowed" 6 more, but I put up a fight,and they allowed another 16.

I work outdoors year round; either on my knees (irrigation) or on a ladder (plumbing/electrical/heating) at my job.
My body does take some abuse. I did manage to snow-blow my drive & walk at 8 weeks - but I did pay the price(pain)

As I said, it's been about a year, and it does hurt once in a while, but IT IS A HECK OF A LOT BETTER than not being able
to bend the knee.

Just think - you can get a job at your local TV station as a weather reporter. I can tell in advance (about 36-40 hrs) that
the weather will change! and still get paid IF you're wrong ;-)

Good luck to you, and a speedy recovery,
PJ

P.S. The wood WILL still be there in another few SHORT weeks. Chin up!

Good luck with the knee rehab, remember what the old Indian once said ...'no hurtie no cureie'.

One day at a time. The one suggestion I can offer is, if something doesn't feel right after a couple of weeks, ask your doctor to do a blood test and see what your (sed) rate is. When I had my left knee replaced it got infected and my sed rate was +140 and it should have been less than 30 or so.

I got to where I can bowl and cut wood and all, but they told me, my knee and leg will never be the same.

Shipper

Hey guys
Thanks for all the support. I am about to go crazy, I am even starting to talk to this little motion machine, calling it my new "friend". The knee bone is getting atad better, at least it can be down, sitting postion for a time now, most of the holes are looking better, swelling is just good and bad kinda thing. I need to haul some wood, but better judgement and fear of my wife will not allow. The blaze king is very predictable when it cold, but at 30 outside, jumpin johnson county it is 88 in here with the window open. I spend as much time opening and closing the window as anything. My brace is not locked at all, so as I can I can kinda squirm around, hooodeeee hummmmmm now what. Took a digger in the shower tues, after everyone left I had to take a shower, Man I had to take a shower, so I got everything ready,, it is a 5' walk in with a 2 inch ledge for the curtain. I had planned to sit on one of the seats, uhm... they are slick when wet by the way. I backed in and started to sit, then a quick rodeo and I was sitting onthe floor with my legs hanging out of the shower, I checked everything and I was ok, and then I had one of those....."well.... this will work" moments. I pulled the curtain over my legs and perfecto. I should have not told my wife, she chewed my backside...
I should have just showed her how I can take a shower without a chance of falling and she would have thought I was pretty clever.

Good to hear you're getting better....but, take it from me....don't do anything "stupid". 1 bad move will set you back weeks!!

Don't ask me how I know!

Do what the doc says. I had foot surgery last year and I went to work a little too soon. My foot is screwed up and I have to have surgery again to fix what I screwed up by not following Docs advice.

This has to be it as I am not going through this again. I am doingas the Dr ordered, had enough though. Getting down, attitude is in the pooper, wishing now that I had not dne it all right now. In a few weeks I hope those sour thoughts are long gone.

Hang in there. It'll get better. Glad to hear you got through it OK.

Steve

Something I did when I had my knee fixed, get some kind of dumbell or ankle weight to exercise your good leg and your arms. I used a 35 and 40 pound dumbell to keep my arms, good leg and upperbody strong. You start loosing strength in just a few days. Take advantage of PT, curse the therapist and hug them at the end of you treatment, it will make you stronger and your knee will heal faster and the pain is your barometer on healing...Remember, your body heals when you sleep, so get as much sleep as you can. Hang in there, be safe and have a speedy recovery. Merry Christmas. Tom

Had my acl replaced in college, I was only down for like 2 weeks, they used a piece of my petella tendon and all has been good nearly 12 yrs now and no problems, but I was only 20 yrs old when I had it done. I feel stronger on that knee than on the other!

Hey, sometimes things need to get worse before they get better. You are probably over the hump. Just think if this was 100 yrs ago, you couldn't get it fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.