knife sharpening?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce56bb

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2005
Flint Hills of Kansas
can anyone recomend a good and EASY tool or method to sharpen knives? i'm thinking mainly for kitchen knives.
thanks in advance

I use a 4 inch belt sander with the finest grit that i can find. I bought a cheap delta shopmaster for this purpose. It was $99 bucks. You gently cut into it like you would a wetstone with the sander on, i also wet it in process, it takes me less then three minutes to sharpen high carbon kitchen knives with so little heat build up that you can check for sharpness and the blade feels slightly warm. A dress them with a steel afterwards and they will take the hair off your arm.

http://tinyurl.com/euuyt

I have that one, picked it up from the cabelas store last year. Can't say anything bad about it, puts a wicked edge on knives whether kitchen or hunting. It is a little bit time consuming, but otherwise I really like it.

if you have moderalty good hand control, diamond whetstones are very good . They dont take as many swipes like the old whetstones do so you get a edge faster and dont have as much time to muck up the angle, unfortunaly there very pricy. http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/whetstone.htm I have the most of the grits offered by this company, but i still prefer my belt sander. With the sander i cut wedges on my chopsaw to get the pricise angle im looking for, and lay the blade on the wedge and sand it all at once. It realy gets them sharp quick.
Ryan

MountainStoveGuy said:
I use a 4 inch belt sander with the finest grit that i can find. I bought a cheap delta shopmaster for this purpose. It was $99 bucks. You gently cut into it like you would a wetstone with the sander on, i also wet it in process, it takes me less then three minutes to sharpen high carbon kitchen knives with so little heat build up that you can check for sharpness and the blade feels slightly warm. A dress them with a steel afterwards and they will take the hair off your arm.

Belt sanders are how the final cut is done at the factory, they do use a guide for the angle.
The belt sander leaves the mirror finish on the blade.

Just don't get the blade past WARM. Very mild warm. If a slight bluish tinge appears on the blade, it's over. You just destroyed the temper.

homefire said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

Belt sanders are how the final cut is done at the factory, they do use a guide for the angle.
The belt sander leaves the mirror finish on the blade.

And i thought i was being clever. LOL, the blade never gets so warm that you cant hold it aginst your finger, but the grit i am using is 220, and a worn 220 at that. I usually cut my 2x4 blocks to a 30 degree for chopping knives and 22.5 for things i want to shave. I have spent a small fortune on diamond stones, and they work well, but nothing compared to my cheap belt sander, here is a link, its more then what my store sells them for but same unit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7558554253&category=57123

I have used the lansky sharpening system and currently have a smith's system that is pretty much the same. And I keep a gerber diamond shapener in my desk at work to touch up my pocketknife. Can't stand a dull blade. I use my knive almost every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.