Know about the Jotul 118B NEWBIE, Can anyone help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbags

Sep 11, 2007
[/size]Hi Regarding the JOTUL 118B Can anyone help me out?

I am looking for a used stove. My 1st stove. I found a 118B used for around 350 bucks. Looks like it's in good shape in the pics.
I can't find any specs for the 118B. I found the 118CB.

Can anyone tell me where to find out the dimensions, and general specs, such as heat output.
The person who is selling it says it uses a 4 inch output pipe. THAT SEEMS SMALL!!!

I found some old posts on it. ANd indeed in the pics, it appears to be "Listed and Labeled" which is what the Code inspector wants.

Does anyone know how it compares to the 118CB. Will it heat 1500 SF?

I would love to buy something newer. But financially can't right now. (that's why I'm switching to wood. Burning OIL now EXPENSIVE)

Sounds like a LOT of knowledge on this site. Maybe you can help me out. Am I going down the wrong path with this stove??

I appreciate any info. THANKS A LOT

First of all, you must make certain it is a genuine Jotul. A lot of copies of this stove were made. Most say "made in taiwan) on the bottom.

The 118 older model was a great stove - and you can still get many parts for it. It should heat up to about 1500 sq feet in a moderate climate and/or insulated house.

Jotul 118:
http://www.jeffdeutsch.com/albums/20011224/13.html
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/QA_Templates/info/1532/
https://www.hearth.com//jotuls/box.html

A long time Jotul dealer will likely have a book in his shop with the manual and parts list for that stove. Woodman Associates in NH also sells parts for it, and even Jotul may have certain parts (through your dealer).

The flue is a metric size of about 4.7" - but you can adapt it to 6".....

It is a very good stove - but, again, make certain it is a Jotul. It should have "made in norway" on it, and the same inscriptions as the original.

Attachments

• 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 6,128
It looks good in the PICS he sent me. Says Jotul on the door. Looks Like some deer or Moose or something on the side.
I can see on the plate it says JOTUL 118 B. I'm pretty sure it is original. Unless the copies actually said Jotul on it.
The owner says it worked great, and they only replaced it to go with an insert instead. And he has the owners manual.

Do You know if the Dimensions are similar to the 118CB Black bear??

I am going to check it out. But it looks like he had it piped into a fireplace, which is what I'm planning to do.

THANKS

LOOKS JUST LIKE THE PIC YOU SENT ME. IF THERE ARE SOME OTHER THINGS YOU THINK I SHOULD LOOK FOR, IT WOULD HELP A GREAT DEAL. I'VE NEVER HAD A WOODSTOVE BEFORE, SO I'M NOT SURE IF I KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR. ALSO IN THE PICS HE SENT ME, IT LOOKS LIKE THE PIPE IS COMING OUT OF THE LONG SIDE, NOT THE SHORT SIDE, WHICH I THINK WILL BE BETTER FOR ME

I owned one of these and used it for a few years. This is the same stove I actually grew up with 30 years ago, so I have a special fondnessfor it. I loved it and it should do a reasonable job in a smaller well insulated home. The dimensions are similar to the current 118, but with a different door. I think the output is 5", but whatever the size you should be able to buy a expansion piece to 6" flue--the stove probably has it already.

The 118 has a removable plate which makes it capable of exhausting from the back or either side. If you see the stove in person, check for cracks in the cast iron along the trunk of the pine tree on the side of the stove. This is a common place for them to crack. Also, make sure it has all the parts. It should have two steel plates that hang on each side inside the stove (where the bias detail is), as well as a horizontal cast plate which separates the burn chamber from the upper part of the stove.

Nice looking stove that really does a good job. It is still a 25+ year old stove and if you are serious about burning, you may want to consider spending a few hundred extra bucks and getting a new epa approved model.

Good luck.

You'll want to examine the stove interior carefully. If the side and top plates are in good condition - no cracks, not warping, then consider this a good sign. Also check the back of the stove for hairline cracks. If no problems, should be a sweet and powerful heater.

Hey Chuck, did you buy that Jotul 118B? If you did, is there a way I can get a PDF copy of the manual? If you did not, could you put me in touch with the seller so I can ask him the same question? I have the same stove, and need the manual to satisfy the code enforcer that I am doing it right. Greatly appreciated! James

email: [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.