Know any Draft Tests?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
Hi Guys, or should I say Wood Stove pros. I am using my great Pacific Energy Summit Stove in Gold trim with Ashpan and Pedestal and I want to pick peoples brain about telling wether or not you have a good draft. I know this "runs" different than my Avalon stove that I sold but I just want to make sure for peace of mind. If you have any info,please let it rip...... :)

No elbows, 6 inch pipe, It is probably just me not being used to the Summit as compared to my Avalon. It just seems like the draft is incredibly better when I open the glass door a little bit. Then when I shut the door, even when the stove is on "H" it seems like the draft is not nearly as good. This is a new stove, I have had 4 fires already on this, I guess once again I am comparing this to my Avalon. I have temp gauge, magnetic,(Rutland Burn Indicator) it reads about 400F when the stove is set to halfway. Also where should I put this gauge, if I put it too high on my chimney pipe it reads barely above 350, but If I put it closer to the stove it reads 400-500F, unless I close it down for a long burn. Do I need any help, or am I just not used to this Stove yet (I am sure I am not but I just wanted to make sure the temp is good and the draft is sufficient)

Oh, to answer another question, my stove is 54 inches from stove to roof, then straight up out on roof, which should be done correctly, I had an inspector come and make sure everything was up to code when installed last year. Only single clearance inside my room however. Would double clearance give me a better draft? I can buy it no problem, the reason I did not is the clearance to combustibles is the same for the Summit for double and single clearance pipe. The installer "scammed me" last year and put single in when I had my Avalon, wish I knew about pipes then.........Bad Karma for them.......

What is the TOTAL height of the chimney from stove collar to the top minus the cap?

Magnetic thermo should be about 18" from the stove on the single wall. You can also put one on the stovetop in the center...you should see temps between 400-800 depending on how much heat you need.

Once we find out how tall the chimney is we will go from there.

How is your wood.

Do not block the air holes in the front with ash or coals.

Put you thermo on the stovetop and forget about the pipe temps for awhile. After your breakin fires don't be afraid to load her up on a good bed of coals and let it rip for awhile. Once you are 500-600 on the stovetop start shutting it down, but not to low that you lose secondary combustion.

Gunner said:
What is the TOTAL height of the chimney from stove collar to the top minus the cap?

Magnetic thermo should be about 18" from the stove on the single wall. You can also put one on the stovetop in the center...you should see temps between 400-800 depending on how much heat you need.

How is your wood.

Put you thermo on the stovetop and forget about the pipe temps for awhile. After your breakin fires don't be afraid to load her up on a good bed of coals and let it rip for awhile. Once you are 500-600 on the stovetop start shutting it down, but not to low that you lose secondary combustion.

Oh crap you asked for the total height yesterday, my bad, I will get you this tomorrow. Good seasoned wood I burn plus I am not blocking the airholes in front, I will put the thermo on the stove for now. Getting good secondary burn, experienced this for a good 30+ minutes today. Thanks Gunner

It may be that the Avalon is more forgiving of draft than the PE. The more a stove is highly tuned, the more it relies on perfection of the chimney and wood. That is why all engineering is a compromise of some sort.

Did the Avalon function well into the same setup?

Yep, the Avalon had soo much good draft that I should have put a damper on the pipe, it ate a lot lof wood, always a great burn, hot burn. The firebox was just too small (Pendleton), and no ash pan (which my wife and I really wanted). Just had a 8 hour burn with coals left this morning. I shut it down all the way after charring 2 smaller rounds and 1 split at 10:00 pm (had a good coal bed at 10:00pm). I let the EBT kick in and had some nice secondary burning. Maybe this draft problem is in my head?

Gunner said:

How is your wood.

OK Gunner, Total height of chimney from stove collar to top minus the cap is just under 11 feet. Thanks again for your time

So everybody doesn't have to go digging for manuals, the minimum chimney height for Summits, as noted by PE, is fifteen feet measured from the base of the stove.

that was my next step, thanks BB for looking that up.
JFK , you should be having a hard time with the EBT on a 11' chimney. It takes alot of draft to run that system, and i dont see how you can have a strong draft on a 11' chimney, unless your house is pressurized like a ballon.

Yep, your stack is alittle on the short side. I'd add 6' to it. I'm supprised your other stove worked...11' is really short.

17ft should be perfect, I have 22ft and it can be too much at times plus I live in a wind tunnel.

Yah I am amazed it working so well with only 11 feet of pipe (must be what my Avalon Pendleton callled for), I think I will go for the extra footage and brace. I got a price of about 300 for everything, 4 feet of pipe and brace. What do you think, is this easy to do?

As long as your comfortable with heights :ahhh: they go together pretty easy. Be careful if the roof is icy

Can you provide a picture of your roof and what your existing setup looks like?

Yep, I will send it to you. I guess I am leaning towards doing this when the weather is a little warmer, I will go with the extra 6 feet and braces for the pipe. Too cold right now
I will send the pic of my roof ASAP
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.