know of someone who could make use of a free computer system? SE NH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scajjr2

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2010
Kingston, NH
Computers have been my hobby for almost 30 yrs. I've been building, upgrading, repairing for family, friends, friends of friends all that time.

Anyway my son-in-law gave me his Mom's 2006 Dell Dimension E510 computer system when she got a new laptop. Digging into my closet 'o spare parts I did some upgrading to it's parts and also the operating system, it is now running Windows 10. As everything in it was either given to me or (for some of the parts I put in) gently used but been gathering dust, I'd like to be able to give it to someone who needs a computer for home, school, whatever, who may not be able to afford one.

For those computer knowledgeable this is what's in it: (parts with * are ones I added from my stash)
Dell Dimension E510 mid-tower case with front audio & USB 2 ports
Pentium D945 3.4Ghz dual-core CPU*
4Gb DDR2 system memory*
64Gb SolidStateDrive (boot drive)*
160Gb SATA hard drive
AMD Radeon HD7750 1Gb video card*
DVD burner (optical drive)
N band wifi card*
front panel memory card reader
computer's motherboard has wired network port and audio, 4 USB 2 ports
Dell E2011H 20" widescreen monitor 1600x900 DVI & VGA inputs
Dell keyboard
optical mouse*
2 speakers*
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

It works fine. This is no gaming machine (other than card games, Minecraft, maybe some light duty Steam online stuff) but will web surf, stream videos, run Office, email programs just fine. Completely legal and activated Windows 10 install. And I like to stand behind the systems I part with, so I'll fix it for free for 6 months (like I said i got a closet o' parts;lol)

I live in Kingston, the SE section of NH. It can be picked up or I can drop it off within say a 20 mile radius. I have family in Milford, Greenville and Peterborough so I'm out that way a couple times a month.

So post back here, PM me if you know anyone who could use this.

Sorry if this kind of post isn't meant for this section.

Sam

Computers have been my hobby for almost 30 yrs. I've been building, upgrading, repairing for family, friends, friends of friends all that time.

Anyway my son-in-law gave me his Mom's 2006 Dell Dimension E510 computer system when she got a new laptop. Digging into my closet 'o spare parts I did some upgrading to it's parts and also the operating system, it is now running Windows 10. As everything in it was either given to me or (for some of the parts I put in) gently used but been gathering dust, I'd like to be able to give it to someone who needs a computer for home, school, whatever, who may not be able to afford one.

For those computer knowledgeable this is what's in it: (parts with * are ones I added from my stash)
Dell Dimension E510 mid-tower case with front audio & USB 2 ports
Pentium D945 3.4Ghz dual-core CPU*
4Gb DDR2 system memory*
64Gb SolidStateDrive (boot drive)*
160Gb SATA hard drive
AMD Radeon HD7750 1Gb video card*
DVD burner (optical drive)
N band wifi card*
front panel memory card reader
computer's motherboard has wired network port and audio, 4 USB 2 ports
Dell E2011H 20" widescreen monitor 1600x900 DVI & VGA inputs
Dell keyboard
optical mouse*
2 speakers*
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

It works fine. This is no gaming machine (other than card games, Minecraft, maybe some light duty Steam online stuff) but will web surf, stream videos, run Office, email programs just fine. Completely legal and activated Windows 10 install. And I like to stand behind the systems I part with, so I'll fix it for free for 6 months (like I said i got a closet o' parts;lol)

I live in Kingston, the SE section of NH. It can be picked up or I can drop it off within say a 20 mile radius. I have family in Milford, Greenville and Peterborough so I'm out that way a couple times a month.

So post back here, PM me if you know anyone who could use this.

Sorry if this kind of post isn't meant for this section.

Sam
That's a decent machine. But do young folks want towers anymore? Also, with a dual core and 4gb memory (im assuming 4 max) that system has about 1-2 years of service left.

It could have a quite a bit more service left if used primarily for email and internet browsing.

I had a friend who took discarded PCs and installed Linux distros and gave them away through various charity outlets. He would choose the appropriate distro depending on the specs of the machine. A lot of very good Linux distros can work on surprisingly little processor speeds and memory.

It seemed to be a great way to recycle, and Linux is so much safer for inexperienced users as far as viruses, etc.

The OP's computer is not there yet, but I thought I'd throw that out.

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle
Call the local churches or put in on craigslist. That will get a lot more attention quickly than here.

Reactions: Jakeyboy86
Schools.

Call the local churches or put in on craigslist. That will get a lot more attention quickly than here.
Unless you want someone to split, burn them.

linux doesn't suck up so much memory compared to all the background busy xyz that is designed into windows. sends so much info back to M it is ridiculous and its hard to eliminate those reporting programs- they can be toned down some.

Yeah I've put Puppy Linux on real old stuff to let 'em run for a few more years.

Now I had posted this on CraigsList NH in Free Stuff Wed night as well. Within 2 hrs I had almost 50 responses. Over half were just things like "yeah I'll take it", "my iPad stinks for school work so I want a computer", "I promised my brother I'd get this for him so when can I pick it up", about 10 were "when can I come pick it up" and nothing else, ect. Only a few actually gave me any back story of why they or someone they know needed a system.

Funny part (or sad maybe) is 4 days later I have replied to one person every day (had maybe about 6 replies that seemed genuine ) and have not had one reply back.

Sam

I wish you were closer to central Ohio! My daughter's friend is in a single parent household with a dead beat dad that doesn't do anything. Her mom works constantly to try to make ends meet, but just not enough at the end of the day. They don't have a computer in the house, and a lot of what they do in school is computer based (even in second grade). I have talked to my wife about building a computer for them, just haven't had a chance to get to it yet. I turned an old windows machine into a very usable Linux machine for my kids. I am sure you will find a very deserving person for it! Kudos to you for offering it to someone!

Yeah I've put Puppy Linux on real old stuff to let 'em run for a few more years.

Now I had posted this on CraigsList NH in Free Stuff Wed night as well. Within 2 hrs I had almost 50 responses. Over half were just things like "yeah I'll take it", "my iPad stinks for school work so I want a computer", "I promised my brother I'd get this for him so when can I pick it up", about 10 were "when can I come pick it up" and nothing else, ect. Only a few actually gave me any back story of why they or someone they know needed a system.

Funny part (or sad maybe) is 4 days later I have replied to one person every day (had maybe about 6 replies that seemed genuine ) and have not had one reply back.

Sam
Did you put in your CL ad that you wanted a good back story as a condition of getting the item, like sort of a contest? What's wrong with " yea, I'll take it" ? It's free isn't it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.