Kodiak 1700 in Heatilator EC42

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfcurran

Nov 21, 2010
Central Ohio
Hi Folks,

I'm new here and have been looking at the wood insert posts for some help. I'm wanting to install an Enviro Kodiak 1700 in my Heatilator EC42 fireplace. Looking at the installation manual I see that the insert's chimney opening is about 1/2" too far forward of the chimney opening for a 6" flexible liner. The rear firebrick seems to be taking up the needed space.

I missing something here ? Does anyone have this insert running in this particular Heatilator ?

Jim

Welcome. Hopefully an installer will chime in soon. It looks like it should just fit. How far from the fireplace back is the centerline of the flue? I just have an exterior drawing showing 8 5/8". The Kodiak shows its flue centerline is 5" from the rear of the stove. On paper this looks tight, but possible. But if the interior of the Heatilator slopes at the back, then I can see it being tight.

The edge of the 8" flue appears to be flush with the back wall. So the existing chimney centerline is 4" from the back of the fireplace, as far as I can tell. There was some warping in the steel that threw me off so now I see it is 1" off rather than 1/2".
The floor-to-ceiling height inside the fireplace at the flue is 21 1/2".

Jim

I see your dilemma. Have you looked at the Avalon Rainier 45? It may offer a solution to the problem. This stove has the back sloped and the flue outlet at an angle to assist with tight rear connections.

Attachments

• avalon rainier 45.jpg
    avalon rainier 45.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 389
Thanks for the pointer. I hadn't looked at that insert however after looking at the install specs, it is too tall and too wide at the back.

Jim

That's too bad, it's a good unit. I only have outside dimensions for your heatilator. What are the interior dimensions that you are working with?

Thanks for checking. Yes, the Heatilator install doc doesn't have much on the interior dimensions. Here are the dimensions.

Front width: 35"
Rear wall width: 26"
Fireplace height: 21"
Front of fireplace to flue centerline: 14"
Flue diameter: 8"
Flue centerline to back wall: 4"

Regards,
Jim

I'll keep looking. IIRC, the Napoleon 1402 flue collar is pretty close to the back. That might be worth checking closer.

jfcurran said:
Thanks for the pointer. I hadn't looked at that insert however after looking at the install specs, it is too tall and too wide at the back.

Jim

Jim,
Take a look at the Avalon Pendelton it also comes in a 45 degree flue it is smaller then the rainier. The box is small but puts out some good heat. That was my choice because of my measurements...Hope this helps.
md

Folks,

It fits !

Many thanks to those who responded.

After lots of measuring and a few emails to Enviro, I was confident enough in the dimensions to give it a try. My installer was really impressed with the way the collar and liner attached to the stove. He said it made all the difference.

There were no complications. It is a tight fit but not problematic. The people at Enviro were very helpful in providing clarifications on dimensions. The insert has been burning for the past two hours and really heating the place up.

My next move is to fabricate a custom metal surround to close the gaps around the edges of the insert and the Heatilator.

Jim

Congratulations! Glad you found a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.