Kodiak 1700 vs Napolean 1402 - NEW INFO PACIFIC ENERGY PACIFIC ONLY $230 MORE THAN KODIAK OR NAP 140

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeaster1

Oct 10, 2008
Nova Scotia
NEW INFO PACIFIC ENERGY PACIFIC ONLY $230 MORE THAN KODIAK OR NAP 1402 I am looking at having either a Kodiak 1700 or Napolean 1402 installed. I would appreciate any thoughts on issues like quality, operation, etc.

I see the Napolean only takes 18" logs, where the Kodicak can take up to 20".

I have only seen the two models in brochures, so thoughts on looks / quality of finish are appreciated as well. I have landed on these models, as they are really the only ones available in my local shops! They also sell Jotul, which I know are very nice, but at $1000 extra, I don't think I can justify the difference.

Thanks in advance!

Calling sonny to the lobby. Kodiak question here bears answering....

Both are good heaters from the reports we have here. How are you for clearances? The Napoleon does pretty well in close clearance situations. But if that is not an issue, I'd probably go for the Kodiak with the larger firebox. It's got stout construction and from early reports seems to be a fine stove.

Oh you`re gonna love the Kodiak.. It is pictured in my avatar. Really chucks out the heat and decent burn times with softwood That brochure is a terrible picture-looks much better than that, it is black,not gray. I like the fact that you can use the top to heat up stew or whatever, and place your thermomoter on the top as well for a more accurate temp reading. I did end up having to extend my hearth again because of the shrouds. If you want the gold door I think that will cost you an extra $250.

I can`t speak to the Napoleon cause I have never owned one.

Go for the Bear, well built with 5/16" steel on the top. And the viewing window is quite large.

Keep us up to date on what you decide-cheers. :)

Thanks for the replies!!

The local stove dealer wants $1900 for the Kodiak 1700 and $1000 for the install, including the liner, so I will be at approx $3000 + tax.

A local hardware store is seling the Napolean 1402 for $1850 and a local (certified) Chimney sweep will install the stove and liner for $500 (including liner). So I am looking at about $2500 + tax or $500 less for the Napolean.

I will have to find out if the local Kodiak dealer wil sell the stove outright, and i could still get the Chimnet Sweep guy to install it, and the liner??

Both guys have came to the house for a site visit.
Both are planning to use a few feet of flex and then solid stainless the rest of the way.
Maybe the Chimney sweep guy is using cheaper liner, but if it is stainless, would it not be good enough??? He puts it in for a living, and came recommended from another local hardware store, as well.

Any more input?? Advice definitley appreciated!!

Last april I paid $1589 for mine (cash and carry). I already had the liner, and my sweep helped me install the insert for only a hundred bucks. So if you know a sweep, I am sure you can get the stove and liner installed for less than the dealer charges. You should keep in mind that the kodiak has a larger firebox than the napoleon, hence longer burn times. And this appliance is something you are going to have for a long time. FYI I really wanted the pe summit with the 3.0 cu. ft firebox but it just wouldn`t fit. My last insert was a PE with a 2.0 cu.ft firebox, and I can say that I notice the difference with the kodiak`s 2.5-it is just that much better.

I will say that the 1402 firebox size is great for our purposes, however, we are in the midwest so our temps won't be as severe as yours. The 1402 looks nice and you can use the top as a stove top. We installed ourselves with a ss flex liner.

I think the size of the Napoleon would be enough to heat the space, but obviously the smaller bo0x would not allow overnight fires to burn as long.

The installer that came to the house said I was likey right in the middle of the Kodiak 1200 and 1700 - as we are in the main floor of a 30 year old 1500 sq ft bungalow.
- currently heated by an oil furnace / hot water baseboard
- apt in the basement, will continue to use oil / hot water baseboard
- Likely not alot of insulation in walls, and lots of windows, most older, mean that we went through a tank of oil / month, in the coldest 4 months last year.(to heat the main floor and the basement apt). That would be around $1000 / month this year, with the crazy (albeit falling) oil prices.
- Living room has about 400 sq ft + another 200 or so, due to raised / ceiling with eight smaller windows on raised roof / ceiling. 8 large windows in the living room.
- Very open to dining rm and kitchen, so we would have a total open space of approx. 1000 sq ft to heat with the stove - lots of windows and not well insulated though!!

- 3 bedrooms at end of hall - would heat them minimally with oil, as the stove heat woudl not travel to far end of house.

Put a table or box fan at the far end of the hall, on the floor, blowing toward the woodstove. Run it on low speed and leave the bedroom doors open. You may be pleasantly surprised by the amount of heat that moves in to replace the displaced cold air.

From the description of your house the 1700 would be your best bet. The 1200 only has a 1.7 cu.ft firebox. In the shoulder season you just build a smaller fire in the large 1700 firebox and maybe leave the blower off. Works for us. Also, after re-reading one of your post, you stated the Napoleon is $1850 and the Kodiak $1900. Imo, for the fifty bucks difference, you will be more satisfied with the kodiak. It is a much more rugged "beast". :)

Get the Kodiak. It is built well, user friendly, and installation is easy with the feature of being able to install the stove collar on the flex pipe and then reaching in from the inside of the insert (after the insert is installed) and securing the collar from the inside. Makes a tight situation easier to deal with. I can't understand why the install would cost you more than the Napoleon. The larger firebox with the Kodiak is a plus.

You can load logs north and south or east and west with 20 inch logs. Overnight burns are no problem. Secondary burn is easy to achieve. Cleaning and maintaining the insert is easy. The stainless secondary burn tubes pop right out with a screw driver. The blower is a stout shaded pole motor with twin blower cages. The blower removes easily with only 3 screws holding it in (for cleaning purposes). Nice variable speed, thermostatic controlled, and pretty quiet for the amount of cfm it kicks out.

I like it's durable simplistic approach in construction, and parts. Kiss principle. I am on my 3rd season and it is holding up well. One word of caution. If you ever have to contact Sherwood Industries (the company that makes the insert) for customer service or just a question, the woman who deals with customer service is a real witch. Never is she friendly, never is she cordial, and her standard response is "contact your dealer". Never does she even try to provide you with information, assistance, or pleasantries. I hope someone from the company reads this, as it is my only complaint.

That being said, I would purchase it again. Any other questions, feel free to contact me. KD

Great input on the Kodiak. That's the type of 1st hand advice I was looking for!!

for the record - it is not that that the dealer wants more to install one over the other. It's just that the Kodiak dealer, who installs the unit himself, wants $1000 for the install (including liner).

On the other hand, a local Chimney sweep will install a liner (and hook up any insert that fits) for only $500 (liner included). I can buy the Napoleon at a local hardware store (they do NOT do installation), and have the Sweep install it and the liner!!

I may be able to buy the Kodiak (cash and Carry) from the dealer, and still have the sweep do the liner and insert install. Just not sure if the Kodiak dealer will sell cash and carry (as they normally do the install)!! I will call them tomorrow and ask!

I love my Kodiak. It was a tank to move but easy to install, fan is in front and easy to clean and it heats up quick and long. I got coals after 16hours from burning apple last week but typical burn time with hardwood is 10hrs

Northeaster

Welcome to the best spot for wood info, fellow Bluenoser!

I had a shop in the Annapolis Valley install mine: numbers ran like this:

Jotul Kennebec 2850 (Kodiak 1200 was $1650 at the time of the quote in May 08)
30 feet liner kit 529
Misc Brick etc 91
modify firebox to
fit stove 350
Install liner/stove 400
total 4220 + 13% tax

The one thing we left out was insulating the liner - just had a great chat with the folks at WETT NS yesterday to help sort that one out. Going to have them pull the liner and stove and insulate it, then reinstall.

Looks like your numbers are in line with my cost here.

Trailblaster, I hear ya about the moving part. Did mine alone. That included moving it from my truck, into the house, in and out of the fireplace a few times during install, and then removing it again the following year to install the insulation on my liner (should have listened to the guys here and used the insulation the first time I installed the liner).

Apple is my favorite wood! I have a full cord of it, but probably won't burn it till after x-mas. Needs to dry a little longer. Just have to burn the oak till then :).

Good to see there is at least 3 of us Kodiak owners (maybe soon to be 4). KD

Brent - Thanks for the info! I would love to get the Jotul, but can't fit it in the budget!!

I only need a 15' liner, and no major firebox modification, so that will save me a bit.

The store I talked to said I could insulate the liner, but only because I asked about it. They would not have otherwise. I figured it may be worth it - from what I have read - as i only have a 15' liner / chimney, and may need the help for draft. Correct me if i am wrong!!

My other obstacle is going to be getting some seasoned wood, until I can start my own for next year.

I'm pulling mine out and will be stuffing some kaowool up past the new blockoff plate I picked up. Its an interior firebox and chimney so I don't need much but I don't want any heat going up the chimney through the unsealed blockoff plate I have on it now.

The standard surround is about 1/2" too short, to cover the fireplace opening. Can the surround be raised 1/2" without raising the stove as well? Or, can I sit the stove on a couple pieces of 1/2" think steel, so I can use the standard surround?

The larger surround is wider than I need, so I would prefer to go with the standard one, if we can raise it a bit!

sorry to add more info, but, I can get a PE Pacific insert for $2130, (cash and carry) which is only $230 more than the Kodiak 1700 or Naploen 1402. From what I have heard, these are a solid, well respected insert! I would add $500 to that price for the sweep to install stove and liner (liner included), taxes!! All inserts will fit, as fireplace is big!

Thoughts??

Northeaster1 said:
sorry to add more info, but, I can get a PE Pacific insert for $2130, (cash and carry) which is only $230 more than the Kodiak 1700 or Naploen 1402. From what I have heard, these are a solid, well respected insert! I would add $500 to that price for the sweep to install stove and liner (liner included), taxes!! All inserts will fit, as fireplace is big!

Thoughts??

Pacific firebox is 2.0 cu.ft. Kodiak is 2.5 cu.ft. Bigger firebox=longer burn times. Why would you spend more money for the smaller unit?

I didn't see that the firebox was smaller. I knew that the summit would be overkill, as I am not heating a huge space, so I just looked at the PE next size down, which is the Pacific!! Now you have given me more to think about!!

SonnyinBC - I could not find the firebox dimensions, for the Pacific insert, on the PE website. Just curious how / where you found the 2 cu ft number. Not that I doubt you, just couldn't find it myself! I only found outside dimensions!

Try here--http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/library.htm

I just installed the Napoleon 1402. It puts out great heat. Burn time I have not fully tested yet, hasn't been cold enough. I don't know anything about the kodiak, it sounds like either would work. I'm lovin' my 1402.

Sonny - thanks for the great link!! Tons of info on that Sweep site!!

Wood - Good to hear that you like the 1402! Still haven't herad back from dealer on Final quote for Kodiak. Will make decision shortly!

Status
Not open for further replies.