kohler 196 cc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Touch0Gray

Feb 8, 2020
Wi
I recently bought a new splitter. The price was WAY right and my old one had been a faithful servant for over 30 years (and I bought it used) I ended up with a SpeeCo, 25 ton. I love it, it 3 times as fast as my old one and tilting is a major bonus. My question is, is the carburator supposed to have some form of gasket sealer on the gaskets?. It seems to surge a bit on high idle and when the throttle lever is all the way down , it kills. Not a particularly big deal but I pulled the air cleaner and shroud off and the carb gaskets are loose (paper)I creanked. other than that I see no issues. I was wondring if it might be sucking a bit of extra air. At higher throttle and load it is perfect.

I recently bought a new splitter. The price was WAY right and my old one had been a faithful servant for over 30 years (and I bought it used) I ended up with a SpeeCo, 25 ton. I love it, it 3 times as fast as my old one and tilting is a major bonus. My question is, is the carburator supposed to have some form of gasket sealer on the gaskets?. It seems to surge a bit on high idle and when the throttle lever is all the way down , it kills. Not a particularly big deal but I pulled the air cleaner and shroud off and the carb gaskets are loose (paper)I creanked. other than that I see no issues. I was wondring if it might be sucking a bit of extra air. At higher throttle and load it is perfect.
This may help

Attachments

• 18_690_01_EN.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 201
This may help
Thanks, far more complete than the 8 page english; 120 page other languages it came with . Page 21 (D) low speed idle screw, 1/4 turn, it is perfect now

There shouldn't be any sealer from factory. Sounds like someone had it apart before. It may have a small air passage way clogged. A good cleaning would help. It would be better if you had some cleaner to soak it in. If that dont work, chances are you might need a new carb and gaskets. I wouldn't go to a dealer, they are quite a bit more expensive. Ope.com is who I use for kohler parts.

There shouldn't be any sealer from factory. Sounds like someone had it apart before. It may have a small air passage way clogged. A good cleaning would help. It would be better if you had some cleaner to soak it in. If that dont work, chances are you might need a new carb and gaskets. I wouldn't go to a dealer, they are quite a bit more expensive. Ope.com is who I use for kohler parts.
There is no sealer, I was asking if there should be. It was brand new, never run. A 1/4 turn on the low speed idle screw fixed it right up.

Reactions: duramaxman05