Kozi 100 Circ Fan Problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PCFixx

Feb 23, 2014
Hardwick, Vermont, USA
I'm helping a friend install a used Kozi 100 that's many years old, with the standard control. It was reported to run fine before she bought it, but she never saw it running. It's look very clean and well taken care of? Everything seems to run fine, except the Circulation Fan won't run when the stove is hot, except when the stove gets hot enough to kick it on high. When the stove isn't burning the fan knob controls the circ fan exactly right. But, when the stove is burning the fan doesn't run regardless of the knob setting, except when the stove gets hot enough to kick the fan on high and then not for very long.

Based on that it sounds like the fan is good and the control knob is good. The wiring diagram in the manual I downloaded is not very clear, but it doesn't look to me as though what I report should even be possible. I haven't pulled off any panels to look inside. Anyone have a suggestion about what to look for?

Thanks

Is this the older style control with just the knobs? Disconnect power and jumper to by pass fan low limit snap disc ...
#15 Circulation Fan Override, Thermal disk
Do not run long term with jumper...

Make sure you have done a thorough cleaning of all the internal exhaust pathways and combustion blower to avoid other issues...

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm glad to have the help, but I think that Circ Fan Override is designed to turn the fan on high when the unit gets too hot. Based on the wiring diagram I don't see how it could shut the fan off when the fan knob is turned to any setting other than off. Does that make sense? Is there another low temp sensor in line with the fan control knob? Unfortunately the text on the wiring diagram available in the manual from Kozi is less than clear.

Is this the older style control with just the knobs? Disconnect power and jumper to by pass fan low limit snap disc ...
#15 Circulation Fan Override, Thermal disk
Do not run long term with jumper...

Make sure you have done a thorough cleaning of all the internal exhaust pathways and combustion blower to avoid other issues...

Welcome to the forum!

Very basic system.Fan should not come on untill you hit start button.At shut down the same snap switch keeps both blowers running.Fan over ride(hi temp)is doing what it should.If you can turn on fan when stove is cold,without hitting start,suspect someone swapped some wiring around.Make sense?Bob

Perfect, that makes sense and was the missing info. Should be easy to figure out once I open up the stove.

Very basic system.Fan should not come on untill you hit start button.At shut down the same snap switch keeps both blowers running.Fan over ride(hi temp)is doing what it should.If you can turn on fan when stove is cold,without hitting start,suspect someone swapped some wiring around.Make sense?Bob

Sorry quoted wrong one - meant the fan control disc - it should function as a low limit disc (#14) for the convection fan. Works similar to proof of fire disc.... starts convection fan at a specified temperature.

OK, looks like the brown wire for the fan control and the black wire for the start switch were swapped at the front control panel. The fan control and start switch seem to respond correctly now. It was dusty as heck inside so we vacuumed everything. We are cleaning the exhaust fan and will fire the little beast up again in a few minutes. It explains some goofy behaviors when we started the stove for the first time. Turns out the fan control was adjusting the speed of the exhaust fan and the burn rate was being controlled by the circ fan control. I guess the last owner had the stove for only 2 years so it probably never really ran right.

Thanks again Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.