Kozi 100 Circulation fan I'm LOST

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calhanchris

Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Hi We are proud Kozi pellet stove people. We actually have 4 of the kozi 100

My question and problem is:

Our circulation fan is no longer working.

I have tried 2 new blue breaker looking boxes, I tried a brand new circulation fan, a new switch, and tried a new reset switch.

No luck.

I have tried the hair dryer on the thermal disk, nothing.

What is happening is that when I turn the fan on, it hums, and make like an 1/8 spin, and stops, make another slight movement and stops. Even with the brand new fan.

I have plenty of power to the machine, as we have been using it for years.

I have pellet fuel coming out, the exhaust fan works, just no circulation fan.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Chris

Hi Thank you

Yes this is why I am SO CONFUSED!

I have switched out the blue boxes, looks like fuses, yet they are an auger timer and a 15 minute timer I believe.

Then Got a Brand new Circulation fan.

Then a New manual reset switch,

Then I tried a used, but good, front switch.

Nothing for all.

Then I jumped the thermal disk, still same thing,

Its like it hums, so when I turn the pellet stove on, it usually turns everything on.

Yet when I turn it on, the pellets start feeding, the exhaust turns on, all 3 lights blink, faster and slower with feed speed, But the fan - you can hear it just humming. I am just not sure what to do.

I do not know if there can be a short in a wire? or something.

Last night I got it to spin manually, like I spun the wheel enough to get it going, today though, just a slight, and I mean slight twitch in a turn. So the higher the fan speed, the louder the hum, but no actual spin.

I have no idea what would cause this, yet a bad connection maybe? But there are not very many wires and I have reset each plug to make sure there are good contacts,

Its cold here in Colorado lol

OK.Jump the 2 wires,manual shows red and brown,at the fan switch(twist knob),or the fan safety snap switch.If fan runs full speed needs switch.If not,you probably have a bad wire connection,Check all connectors,look for slight burning.If you are handy with voltmeter you could just check all voltages.Wiring diagram on kozi website.I am assuming stove is 115 volt,as they did make some 230.Also possible wiring problem in house outlet.http://www.kozistoves.com/Manuals/XL100(Nov2004).pdf

Thank you again

Ok so I jumped at the switch, the humming was the sound at full bore, so I take it that it works.

I am not sure if you were saying there is also a fan safety snap? Not sure where that is.

Why I checked the blue boxes is because one of them did have a burnt looking tip, but I believe its that auger timer.

If a wire tip is burnt, and I am meaning just a discoloration, not like it caught on fire, would I replace the whole wire? Like can the fuse box thing be ok, but the wire be bad?

Thank you so much for all of your help. I feel blessed.

OK you heard humming?was blower pushing air?Timers are not hooked to convection fan.Snap switch is only for if stove overheats(on this model)The knob that turns to set speed is only thing affecting the running,as everything else works.Swap in another control panel(you said you have 4?)On that wire,fix/clean/replace terminal.If wire hard next to terminal(connector)cut back a few inches and splice in a new section.

real quick - I have the blower unbolted, while I am testing everything. So I am getting the humming, but its not spinning the turbine to make the air blow out.

Going to garage to get some new ends...

Check voltage at motor.Follow wires from motor,check all connections,check power coming out of outlet may have a low voltage or ground problem.Before doing any of this make jumper and plug motor into wall and test.check in several outlets.

Ok solved----

So the brand new, never used circulation fan, had a bent turbine, so it would pinch and not spin. So I figured it was something else,

When I tried a used one out of a stove that is not used often, fired right up.

Thank you Bob for taking time out of your day to help a stranger.

Have a Blessed Night

Chris - Colorado

Good job to both Bob and Chris! Chris is there a dealer close to you to return that fan or do you have to send it back to Winnipeg? Hope that return/replace goes smoothly. Welcome to the forum:)

Status
Not open for further replies.