Kubota RTV (or UTV)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike1234

Dec 5, 2008
Colorado
Considering buying a Kubota RTV 500. Besides other chores around my house, would use it to get to the forest next to my house - Firewood!.
Cost is 8250.00
Anyone have one, or know someone who has one? Any input - positive or negative about Kubota, RTV 500, or RTV's in general?

hummm that's a lot of cash imo. For that kind of dough you could get a good used diesel tractor with attachments that could almost build Rome in a day. Use the 3PH to drag the logs right to your wood shed...process 'em there. One log would probably fill that gimmick vehicle 10+ times.

Ja, my thought too. I'd get a tractor with FEL for that kind of money.

Sounds like an excuse for an impractical toy.

Excuse for a toy? Have you been talking to my wife???
You may be right about a tractor, I'll have to give it some more thought. What I WANT though is the toy (RTV).

mike1234 said:
Excuse for a toy? Have you been talking to my wife???
No, but I am married. When my neighbor bought a new ATV, he put his old one out by the road with a for sale sign on it. The wife saw me do a double take, read my mind, and told me not to even think about it. There was to be no debate and the ATV was sold the next day for way more than I was prepared to pay for it.

So I talked to my neighbor today, who owns both a UTV and a tractor. He does some tractor work for me now and then. I asked him, knowing me, and what I would use it for, what would you suggest (since you own both), a RTV or tractor. He said, the first year, I would use the tractor a lot more than I would use it after that. I'd use the front loader for those 5 or 6 things I haven't done because I don't have one. But after that, the RTV would be much more practical for my uses.

Of course, he said this sitting on top of his tractor working on another neighbors driveway. But he pointed out he had no front loader on it, and was not planning on putting it on until he comes down to help me with removing the sinking front sidewalk.

Honestly, I'd already decided to buy a RTV when I posted the first post, looking for some positive feedback, but now I just don't know.

I've done my research, the Kubota is much more of a workhorse than a toy compared to other UTV's, and yet would I get 8,000 worth of value out of it over the next 5 years or so? Or if I am intent on spending 8000 would a tractor or a RTV sit around more often? If I had one, how often would I say, I sure wish I had bought the other?

Anyway, now throughly confused, and closing the checkbook until I figure this out. Maybe I'll just save the 8000 for retirement.

How about if I just hire my neighbor to do my chores and get my wood? How long would 8000 last towards that? HMMM, about 150 / month for 53 months .... 15 hours @ $10 / hour = 150. So I get him and his toys for 15 hours / month. This is a new option ..... :lol:

I'd go with the tractor because you'll use the UTV beyond it's capacity and turn it into a POS in 5 years. In 5 years a tractor will still be in decent shape and hold some value. Tractors are built much better. Not much resale value in a used UTV.
Why not buy a used tractor and a used Toyota or Isuzu 4x4 for a lot less than $8k. Best of both worlds and cheaper to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.