Kuuma Vapor-Fire 100 and 200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
This may read like a sales pitch – it is not. Instead, it is the result of a gracious reception and pleasant visit I had with Daryl Lamppa of Lamppa Manufacturing in Tower, MN.

Lamppa, the manufacturer, advertises the Kuuma Vapor-Fire 100 and 200 as “The World's #1 Wood Gasification Furnace.” I haven’t used one nor seen one in operation, but I did visit the manufacturing plant in Tower, MN, on January 30, 2014, and spoke with Daryl Lamppa, no title on his business card, but I can assure you that he believes his advertising. Both models have been efficiency tested by Intertek, and the brochures are available at the company’s website, along with links to the Intertek reports. http://www.lamppakuuma.com/

I believe both models already exceed all current and proposed EPA combustion standards for wood burning appliances of their type. Combustion efficiencies are in the 97-98% range, and heat transfer efficiencies are in the 76-86% range, depending on the model and whether the HHV or LHV standard is being measured (see Intertek report). The company is successful and growing, and the furnace order backlog extends into March.

I visited Lampaa because of positive reviews on this forum and its location is in fair proximity to where I live – well, also in part because it was a beautiful winter day to take a 300 mile round trip through beautiful, snow covered, northern Minnesota, with temperatures hovering around 0F.

My personal experience is mostly with wood gasification boilers made by Tarm, Froling, Wood Gun and Garn. I believe they all work well and are very efficient. I have reported extensively on these boilers.

The Vapor-Fire models are updraft wood hot air furnaces. Seasoned cord wood is loaded N/S, and the proprietary microprocessor control system, based on the operator output setting, varies the draft flow into the ends of the wood near the firebox loading door. The wood therefore burns from one end to the other end, from near the firebox loading door to the rear of the firebox. Combustion air is preheated, and the gases released by combustion pass through four levels of burn before exhausting up the flue. The heated furnace surface then transfers heat to moving air provided by a fan.

The draft flow and rate of end to end burn is modulated by the control system to achieve an adjustable rate of output based on internal flue temperature as measured by a sensor and according to the operator setting. Internal flue temperature varies between a low of about 250F to 400F on high burn, similar to flue temperatures for the wood gasification boilers with which I have experience. Advertised output is 30-40,000 btuh on Medium setting.

Although I didn’t inspect the partially manufactured furnaces in detail, it was apparent that Daryl and the other employees, about seven, give or take, are proud of the quality (25 year firebox warranty, nearly all parts replaceable) of their furnace and of the efficiency of its design, which extends back to Daryl’s father, a retired math teacher in the local school system.

No pictures out of courtesy to seeing the inside of a manufacturing plant. I would not want to inadvertently give away any method or process that could be considered proprietary. The website has pictures and more detailed info.

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
Draft rate is modulated by fire box temp not flue temp. Sorry I just wanted it to be accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.