1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

kwh compared to therms? (gas or electric hot water)

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by mikeyny, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyny

mikeyny Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    upstate ny
    Since I preheat my domestic hw with a home brew heat exchanger I wonder if I would be better off using an electric water heater. Presently I have a separate 50 gal tank that the cold water enters, when the wood boiler is running it makes hot water thru my heat exchanger. (5 ft of 2inch black iron pipe with 1/2 inch finned copper running thru it) and that feeds into my gas water heater. My nat gas bill varies from 5 to 17 therms per month. 17 therms is about 38 bucks. I was wondering if it would be better (cheaper) to use an electric water heater, since there would be no standby looses. When I googled a therms to kwh calculator it says 17 therms equals 498 kwh. Is that correct? IF it is gas is much cheaper in my area. Any thoughts.
    Mike

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ewdudley

ewdudley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cayuga County NY
  3. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    I believe in most places gas is currently cheaper than elec. Not so a few years ago and who Knows what the future holds.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.