L.Lange stove should have a shelf?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Spencer

Dec 24, 2017
We have just bought a lovely old cottage which came with a nice old Lange stove. It has clearly been changed and modified over the years because the previous owners added a fascia. We can’t get it to burn very well and have two questions if anyone has any ideas. Pics attached to aid.

Firstly there are some small metal steps either side at the bottom that look like they should maybe have a shelf or grate on.. what do you guys think? Not sure if it’s clear in the photo but perhaps you can see it on the bottom right. There are similar ones at the top supporting the baffle. We thought it might raise the log level to get them more online with the front grate and the air vent in front of it.

Secondly it doesn’t seem to burn with the door closed and the front vent open, we always have to leave the door adjar for it to stay lit. Any ideas why it’s not burning so well? Is this just a factor of having an old stove compared to the super efficient new ones.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks and happy Christmas!

187596CC-574B-4253-B466-6AA3D69AB649.jpeg 263BAB52-D810-4E83-A196-EA76A294AD87.jpeg 42F99ECD-FE70-488B-A8ED-1213DB6BE7EE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen this stove before. What is happening around the top? Is that stove gasket wrapped around the top seam? The small size and those small feet make me wonder with you if this stove was meant to have a grate in it. Perhaps it was a coal or peat stove? The door is odd for a Lange also. Normally there would be a casting on it, but this one looks like it may have had a decorative tile on it at one point?

Spencer, any chance this stove is in Europe or something? I've not seen one like it either!

With a bit more searching I have found what looks like this stove on an old UK eBay listing. It was listed as a "log burner". The model was not listed, but where that metal plate is on the door there was a window glass. I haven't found any interior pictures yet.
Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 8.42.16 AM.png

Wow you found the exact same stove! Just with longer legs and a window where we have a metal sheet. Guess it’s a relief it was listed as a log burner! And yes we are in England.

That is the gasket you can see around the top. It also has rope running all around the front and after doing some inspecting with a torch I have found parts of it to be completely degraded and I can see daylight through the joints. Presumably that is going to massively hinder the ability to burn efficiently? I have added a couple of photos showing these parts.

I think we will ask a stove expert to come round for a look at it to decide if we should try adding a grate.

Attachments

• F5D44427-96BC-477D-8886-BA4D3A7A3F7C.jpeg
    F5D44427-96BC-477D-8886-BA4D3A7A3F7C.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 124
  • D82E604E-D54E-42D0-B0BF-9DEDAD4F1FDD.jpeg
    D82E604E-D54E-42D0-B0BF-9DEDAD4F1FDD.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 117
I'd take the stove apart and re-cement all seams before burning in it. This is a simple stove, it wouldn't take long to do this.