1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

La Crete vs. Oakies?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by phil san, Sep 29, 2012.

1. phil san

phil san Member

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    Local dealer is offering a new pellet LA CRETE premium softwood - spruce from Canada. Compared to Oakies a bit higher btu, less ash and supposedly double screened for fines. I can get either for $299.

Oakies has been my deep winter pellet for years just looking at new offerings.
    Anyone used them?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Caribfan

Caribfan Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I started with pellets last year. I bought a ton of Lacretes and loved them. It was the first pellet I burned and as the seaon went on I tried bags of different pellets - PWI, fireside ultra, green supreme, MWP, Trebio, Vermonts to name a few. I felt the Lacretes burned hotter than other pellets I tried and did so with less ash. Also, after dumping 1/2 ton of Lacretes in the hopper - virtually dust free, the dust cloud created by other pellets when I poured the bag in the hopper was very noticeable. I have 1/2 ton left and I am saving them for cold weather. I would buy them in an instant if Spruce Pointes weren't $40 cheaper here so that will probably be my cold weather choice this year. IMO you should be VERY comfortable with your purchase. Although I must admit I have not had an opportunity to try Oakies
  3. Cowdogz

Cowdogz Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I like LaCrete better. They're the best pellet I've tried, but it's debatable whether they are $50/ton better than Trebio, NEWP, and some of the others.
  4. phil san

phil san Member

Loc:
    South Shore, MA

Any comparison to Oakies? Should stick with what has worked best, but last years batch had a lot of fines.
  5. Cowdogz

Cowdogz Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Not sure why, but Okies did not do well in my stove. The only adjustment I have is the opening on the feed gate, and on the same setting the LaCrete was much better.
  6. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    lacrete here is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Won't try them at that price but have heard good things about them. Okies make anything burn hotter. This winter it's Trebios again mixed with Okies. Heats a 2200sq' colonial with an addition very nicely. We used barely above normal oil use for hot water last winter.
  7. movemaine

movemaine Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    after burning the 2ton of Cubex last year that came with my stove, I moved to LaCrete's and I think they are a fantastic pellet. I haven't burnt Oakies, but I was very pleased with the LaCrete performance.
  8. jim3854

jim3854 Member

Loc:
    Rhode island
    Pellets direct has Lacretes for 259.00 a ton.
  9. fmsm

fmsm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    I do not see LaCretes on the pellets direct website.
  10. fmsm

fmsm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    I must be blind, I still don't see them.