Lack of pellets in Atlantic Canada

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelby

Jan 3, 2008
Newfoundland
I was just wondering if there is still a lack of pellets in Atlantic Canada. I live in Newfoundland and this year has been the first year for Home Hardware in my area to carry wood pellets. They are now telling me that they are having a hard time getting pellets. Prior to moving to Newfoundland, I lived in Halifax and I had no problems getting pellets. I called St. John's and the only place that had them was Home Depot but they were selling them for $7.78 per bag plus tax. That works out to $8.79 per bag. Electric heat is cheaper then that. I still have pellets so I won't be paying that price yet. Anyway, I was just wondering if there are pellets out there to get.

been bad everywhere by sounds of it i live in dartmouth nova scotia and kents and home depot been hit and miss i am glad i got mine in november at canadian tire for $4.99 i here they are $6.99 now.

Heres hoping the prices fall back down to earth and these high prices don't stick too long.There are hopefully two more pellet operations that will be online next year,one is a big one in Chatham that is being operated by a European Pellet consortium(?) ....probably be shipping them to Europe....who knows.

That's strange, recently I bought Spruce point pellets from Slave Lake area of Alberta Ca for $5 a bag in Maine.

I just got an email that the Canadian Tire store on Mountain road in Moncton has lots of lignetics. I can't confirm the price but without a rain check,I can only assume they would be $6.99 a bag. At least if you were gonna pay a premiun for them,they are the best.Still steep tho.

Home hardware in Yarmouth N.S called to day said they had 12 pallets of Eastern Embers in stock....but a limit of 20 bags per customer at $5.99 plus tax.
Worker told me that most of the Eastern Ember pellets are being shipped to Europeen markets.....getting $10.00 a bag!!!
Seems that's what part of our pellet shortage is grrrrrr.....

Crappy Tire in Fredericton N.B. called me and said my pellets were in....I said 'What pellets?....He said your raincheck from October...so I boogied right on up and picked up 20 more bags of the Lignetics @4.99 + $%^&* tax. I'd already picked them up earlier, in November I think, but their system held the raincheck open...lucky me. They only had 2 pallets though, all spoken for with rainchecks...yeah, I know someone is gonna be short, but that would normally be me, so I'm not feeling any guilt. I hope the total of 90 bags I laid in will do us, our first pellet stove winter. BTW, you can check their inventory on-line anytime.
Bulletin: Just got back from Kents, and they have 1/2 dozen pallets of 'Comfy Cozy' out back, $6.99 I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.