LaCrete($309/ton) vs Vermont($328) vs Somerset($285)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rhody, I'm guessing the Vermonts are from Frederickson Farm? If so, I think that price includes delivery. I have burned primarily Vermonts for the past three seasons. My experience with them has been mixed, but mostly good. They produce terrific heat and very little ash. The first two seasons I had "hopper bridging" issues because the pellets did not slide well. I had to make sure the hopper was completely full before I went to bed or else wake up to a cold house and a hopper half full of pellets stuck to the sides. Last season, I bought three tons and they all burned differently. One was fantastic and the other two were not - difficulty lighting and very poor heat output, so they had a definite consistency issue with pellets sold for the 2013 - 2014 heating season. I burned a half ton of La Cretes a few years ago and loved them. Great heat. They produce a very different kind of ash than the Vermonts. Vermonts, the ash is black and heavy and not much of it. La Cretes, there is more ash - it is a light gray color and very fluffy. When I open the stove door to clean it, the ash inside would fly around like in one of those snow globes you shake up. Never burned somersets, but others who have seem to love them across the board. If you are getting the La Cretes at Long Pond, see if they can get you some of the North Countrys as well. Seems like they are in short supply these days, but if they can get some for you - they are worth the wait. Again, excellent heat. I would rate the La Cretes and North Countrys similarly, and probably give a slight edge to the North Countrys for heat output. Funny - If I had to knock them on something, it would be the flimsy bags they put them in; they rip open too easily.

Reactions: pelletdude
Rhody, I'm guessing the Vermonts are from Frederickson Farm? If so, I think that price includes delivery. I have burned primarily Vermonts for the past three seasons. My experience with them has been mixed, but mostly good. They produce terrific heat and very little ash. The first two seasons I had "hopper bridging" issues because the pellets did not slide well. I had to make sure the hopper was completely full before I went to bed or else wake up to a cold house and a hopper half full of pellets stuck to the sides. Last season, I bought three tons and they all burned differently. One was fantastic and the other two were not - difficulty lighting and very poor heat output, so they had a definite consistency issue with pellets sold for the 2013 - 2014 heating season. I burned a half ton of La Cretes a few years ago and loved them. Great heat. They produce a very different kind of ash than the Vermonts. Vermonts, the ash is black and heavy and not much of it. La Cretes, there is more ash - it is a light gray color and very fluffy. When I open the stove door to clean it, the ash inside would fly around like in one of those snow globes you shake up. Never burned somersets, but others who have seem to love them across the board. If you are getting the La Cretes at Long Pond, see if they can get you some of the North Countrys as well. Seems like they are in short supply these days, but if they can get some for you - they are worth the wait. Again, excellent heat. I would rate the La Cretes and North Countrys similarly, and probably give a slight edge to the North Countrys for heat output. Funny - If I had to knock them on something, it would be the flimsy bags they put them in; they rip open too easily.
I concur with the ash comparison. My issue last season with Vermonts was not "bridging" as you call it, but this puppy jamming the feed door completely! The company was very active in discussing my issue and and offered to make it right though.
image.jpg

all 3 are very good pellets. la crete's out of my sig were my favorite last season.

Reactions: pelletdude
This has all been excellent feedback.

Tddberg,
Your spot on in every point of supply and re the VTs including delivery. The LaCrete # is approx equal as I'll have to grab a box truck to head out to Long Pond, found a deal prob 70 bucks on 2 ton so that'll be a push vs VTs.

Thank you to everyone for teir thoughtful pro and con feedback. I try to take a balanced approach with pellets, pricing and output quality and cleanliness. I'm looking forward to the comfort in my home again in the winters to come.

The stockpiling gives me a good reason to clean he garage.

As a Red Sox fan, I'll tell you this... If you can make it to Fenway when the kid Henry Owens pitches, GO! He's the only bright spot on the horizon right now.

Good night

Status
Not open for further replies.