Lacrete's in upstate N.Y.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope so... I just purchased 3 tons! (Liked the Barefoot pellets, but I heard LaCretes are a notch above)

And, like you, I've not used Barefoot. Can't compare head to head.
But I can tell you, that I tried many brands last year, @crunchtime,
and maybe the La Cretes aren't the best,
but if the best are $40-$60 more... they better be REALLY good! _g

Good luck! Dan

Thanks Dan - I guess time will tell, but with what I have on hand already for the upcoming winter, I don't anticipate being too worried! (I worry for the people who wait, or, for those who only have the room (or cash) for a few bags or a ton at a time!)

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I was a Barefoot user last Winter and loved them. Did a prepay order for 6 tons this yr. Just got called last week by my dealer who stated they will not be able to get the Barefoots. They are replacing them with La Cretes.

My questions are these:
1. Are the La Cretes as good or on par with the Barefoots?
2. Should the La Cretes be the same price as the Barefoots? My dealer said they are actually a little more but they are not going to charge the pre order people the difference if they have already paid.

What are the La Cretes going for currently?

Thanks for any help.

I was a Barefoot user last Winter and loved them. Did a prepay order for 6 tons this yr. Just got called last week by my dealer who stated they will not be able to get the Barefoots. They are replacing them with La Cretes.

My questions are these:
1. Are the La Cretes as good or on par with the Barefoots?
2. Should the La Cretes be the same price as the Barefoots? My dealer said they are actually a little more but they are not going to charge the pre order people the difference if they have already paid.

What are the La Cretes going for currently?

Thanks for any help.
Through this site, it seems people really like LaCrete which have been reported generally to be a notch above Barefoot and a notch below the Douglas Fir pellets. My expectation before using LaCrete is that they "should" at the very least be on par with Barefoot or perhaps just a touch better due to both the slightly higher BTU rating and lower ash content :)

I didn't have the cash on-hand for the 'cash' price, so I charged the 3 tons and paid $309/ton + delivery.

The place where I purchased the Barefoot from last year have $295/ton indicated on their website for Barefoot (a $20 increase/ton)... where you still have to place your order for them (and recommending ording soon considering shortages from last heating season). An other big pellet supplier not far from me on their website indicate that their Barefoot supply is "out of stock" (and to be out of stock at this point in the game - August / first week in September - can give you an indication of what supplies may be going forward IF you are into the speculation game)!

So, LaCrete at the Barefoot price... go for it! (I have a feeling we will both be at least as happy to more happy with LaCrete this upcoming season... but we can compare notes then!)

Boomer,
It appears that my dealer was told by Barefoot that they could not supply ANY to them for this season as of now.
The La Cretes cost me $299 per pallet, 60 bags or 2400 lbs. There was a flat $89 delivery charge. They unload them and place them in my garage. So the 6 "tons" will cost me $314 per 1.2 tons delivered and stacked. I guess it's not bad especially if they are as good as they say.
Time will tell.

Wow a flat delivery charge - may as well get as many tons delivered as you have room for... and 6 tons all ready for the upcoming season - we are definitely in perfect shape! I wonder if we will be able to tell the difference in heat between the Barefoot and LaCrete? I'll burn my Barefoot first so if this is a normal Fall season, I shouldn't get to my LaCrete until about December... but yes, time will tell.

I figured we needed 6 tons this season. So with the extra 1.2 tons overall I'll be set with no problems.
Should be getting them delivered before the end of the month. I'm waiting to pick up a new snowmobile trailer so I can get the sleds out of the way. LOL
That's happening today so we'll be good to go here.
Have a warm Winter.

Many thanks and you do as well - I'll look for a LeCrete update soon!

that's a GREAT score!!

Dan
Dan - I see you have a coal stove... I was thinking coal could be an option for me, but when doing my homework, I noticed that not as many places had coal AND coal was as much/slightly more than pellets in CT. (Heck, coal in this region of the world should be $100/ton tops IMHO) Not a problem though - I was thoroughly satisfied with my Harman, it produced more heat than I was expecting and considering the stove is NOT in the most ideal location in my house, still heated the upstairs well enough not to use my electric baseboard heat at all :)

You are probably better off with the pellets, because you seem very happy with them,
and... you have a nice stove!

Coal may be a little more to purchase, but don't forget, you stll get a lot more heat for your dollar.
Downside is, coal does create a lot more ash... a LOT more.
And, it can be more dust in your home..
Plus side is, it doesn't need electricity, and there are no circuit boards or anything
that can fail. Once you light it, that's it until spring..
The Harman coal stove I run, just puts out brutal heat when you need it,
coal is just a different animal.. It's not really for everyone..

Dan

Oh very true - that's why I was first thinking... hummmmm coal....... tons of BTU and no moving parts! I did just trade in a 2 year old Jotul F-3 which I was using Envi-8 blocks in and enjoyed.. but the wife HATED IT!! She would return home to a warm house every day about 3pm (I leave about 2:30) - then I would get home at 1:30am to a cold house and no fire! So although I enjoy fiddling with a stove, I figured I would pick that battle wisely and go for the totally hands off approach where all she has do ever do is dump in a bag of pellets! (she doesn't even have to do that much - I load it before I go and even with the sub-zero temps of last winter, there was still plenty in the stove 11 hours later even on a very high setting!)

Pappa Bear's Stove in Cortland N.Y. has Lacrete's. Don't usually see them in this area. It will be interesting to see how people rate them.
Just burned through a bag of le cretes...couldn't notice any difference from
You are probably better off with the pellets, because you seem very happy with them,
and... you have a nice stove!

Coal may be a little more to purchase, but don't forget, you stll get a lot more heat for your dollar.
Downside is, coal does create a lot more ash... a LOT more.
And, it can be more dust in your home..
Plus side is, it doesn't need electricity, and there are no circuit boards or anything
that can fail. Once you light it, that's it until spring..
The Harman coal stove I run, just puts out brutal heat when you need it,
coal is just a different animal.. It's not really for everyone..

Dan

Anyone reading this and in need of a Harman Mark II coal/wood stove...I have one for sale in north central Vermont...I have used this as my main burn for years...still a fantastic stove and the blower cranks out the heat...... [email protected]

Yes, over the last couple days in the evening...burned just like the LG pellets I am used to ...
I've only burned Barefoot - so I guess I should ask, 'how did you like your LG pellets?'

Oh good to hear! I believe I'm still a few weeks again from needing that first 'take the chill off the house' burn... but looking forward to it just the same.

Yes, over the last couple days in the evening...burned just like tare so warm pellets I am used to ...

With all due respect, I don't know how the heck you can compare pellets
by burning, a bag or two when the temps are so warm.
Sort of like comparing air conditioners in November..
I should think a significant ambient, would be a much better test.

Try using a brand for a week, then another.. in December.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.