Ladyslippers in the Eastern UP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uper

Feb 5, 2010
Eastern UP, MI
Saw many of these along the backroads in my travels last week.

Attachments

• Ladyslippers 6-8-11.jpg
    Ladyslippers 6-8-11.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 329
  • Lady Slipper 06-18-10.jpg
    Lady Slipper 06-18-10.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 321
  • Ladyslippers 6-7-11.jpg
    Ladyslippers 6-7-11.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 320
nice!! Gotta love wild flowers and springtime walks!

Beautiful! I get lots in my yard. I think those yellow ones are the rare ones- never seen them in the wild. We've all heard that they are protected... I dunno- but they are rare enough that we ought not pick them I guess.

Yes they are protected here. I looked them up in my wildflower book and the yellow ones (maybe the others too) need a special fungus to flower. I noticed most of the yellow ones had some cedar trees around them, and they were in lowland areas. They are in the Orchid family. It's a great time of year!

we get the pink ones every now and again, never seen a yellow one...sweet. Orchids rule. I like the ones that eat bugs. Amazing how much diversity there is in orchids.

Very pretty . . . never knew there were yellow lady slippers.

Good pictures Uper. You are blessed with many wild flowers there.

Status
Not open for further replies.