Lakes Region Pellets: worth a try?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbreda

Minister of Fire
Aug 3, 2009
Lakes Region, NH
I am part of an energy buying group that I have used for my HHO for the past 8 years. As far as oil buying, I have had great savings. Our Town Energy Alliance has contracted with Lakes Region Pellets, a new startup in Barnstead NH.

"These are high quality pellets with very low moisture, 0.19 ash and 8933 BTUs/lb"

Being a start up company (and my being on my first stove), is it worth a shot at 245/ton through the buying group? Not a huge discount as it looks like NHpellets.com will be selling these at 269/ton

If I were you, I'd buy a ton of "name brand" pellets that are a known quantity and rated well. Then try a few bags of the Lakes region pellets when they become available, and also when you get comfortable running your stove & how it operates.....don't buy a pig in a poke.

BTU: Thanks for the professional advice, I completely understand where you are coming from. Frankly, I didnt know that these were almost unattainable results and will see if there is anything that can back the statement. I will say that the operator of Our Town Energy Alliance has been on the money in regards to negotiating some good purchasing agreements and making recommendations when it comes to oil purchasing. Even to the point where last year at this time he recommended that none of his customers pre-buy HHO, predicting that the speculators price gouging had a good chance of crumbling. This was a first for OTEA since its beginning and while others were locking in at 4-5/gal, I entered into a rack plus pricing agreement that saved me allot last heating season. (I know, I know...this is a pellet/corn forum, but just getting across that this source has been reliable in the past :) )

I will email Dan today and see where he got this information and what they have for backup.

macman: My being as informed a buyer as I can, I agree with your thinking as well. Information sometimes forms sceptical thinking. If it looks too good, it usually is.

Manonfire said:
The Reason for the High Out Put is that they are made with 100% ground up Wood Pallets.
If any One would like to go down and see they are at 27 Depot St. Barnstead ,New Hampshire,03225.

Extra BTU's are caused by glue and oils in the pallets once gound and pelletized they are able to Create a Great High Energy Product .

Pallets are a Great renewable energy scource. And people pay to take the wood.

Why would anyone want to use anything else. this is the Pellet of the Future!

They were going to use whole Logs but it turned out to be too costly.

I think this is a great use for pallets, even though some on here think that contaminants from the pallets could contain hazardous waste, I disagree with that. My one question is how do they deal with the nails in the pallets?

The colored mulch I get is chipped from scrap pallets -- and I never find a nail????

I just cannot imagine how many scrap pallets it would take to keep an operation like this in raw material all week long - every month

Wow

Manonfire said:
:question:

This is a TRUE FACT: So TONTO Go and See ,Before You Speak With Forked Tongue. There are made of Pallet Wood. Have you Been There ?
It Looks Like you are the one Ill Speaking, Pallet Wood is an Exellent Source of Bio Energy there are 600 million tons produced every Year . The same pallet wood is delivered to NEWP too, so what is your point ? Pallet Pellets are the Fuel of the Future!

Not sure who you are referring to as TONTO, but you seem VERY defensive. I personally have a few problems believing the :"very low moisture, 0.19 ash and 8933 BTUs/lb”...like my father always said, if it seems too good to be true....".....you know the rest.

Secondly, according to The New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services, Air Resources Division, the plant didn't even get a permit to operate until June 19th.

And thirdly, nowhere in the RACT (Reasonably Available Control Technology) order from them does it state that they will be using ground-up pallets....actually, it states "The manufacturing process will convert wood logs into wood pellet fuel suitable for both residential and industrial use".

Here is the RACT order: http://www2.des.state.nh.us/OneStopPub/Air/330010002709-0134TypeOrder.pdf

I also have an issue with a NEW poster to this forum who seems to have a LOT of knowledge about the operations of the plant, which is (maybe) even producing pellets....may I suggest that poster ManOnFire has some inside (financial) interest in this operation?

And as for the reasoning that "Extra BTU’s are caused by glue and oils in the pallets once gound and pelletized they are able to Create a Great High Energy Product " I would like to see verifiable information that this process will lead to much higher than normal BTU output.

Other than all the above, if all is true, I think it's a great thing :roll:

Manonfire said:
:bug:

That is the difference between Very Defensive and "Knowing They Have Weapons Of Mass Destruction" Is very well known.
Your facts on paper lead us to the same wrong conclusion so look and speak,read" white paper" lies and stutter the same.

As for "new" the fact is you are "new" and speak like the pellet pig you are. Oink Oink the facts are before you and you refuse them .

my join date is 2007-08-09
yours is 2008-07-02.

As the railroad once said "who was here first".

You said you did not know who Tonto was? But you reference him, why? Tonto is who to you?

1st 2nd 3rdly who does that ? Over and over again ,you will never get to Home plate if you don't get past 3rdly

You said you would like to see... How can "you"see ?

Your not part of any problem I have ,but you are part of a problem with this Country.

You think you know ,that is dangerous as it is an oxymoron. You "Think" You "Know" .

At what cost, to who, do you require or request Validation.

I made a statment, it is Questioned ? You demand proof , people prove themselves every day living between the lines, skirting the laws and the rules twisting the truth to their own need and profit.

Guilty till proven Inoccent, Mini Miranda, fine print, Read My Lips, Yes We Can. America is an Experiment and that is all.

A piece of paper is not anything but wood and ink,man defends these pieces of paper at the cost of life an mass distruction. Justice is the Flavor of the Day and defended by the appointed who are put in power by the elected..

I just know, as I saw ,ask the ones doing ,tested at home like most , sorry no lab ,no PHD,no any thing . But Life Experiance

You said you Dad use to tell you? That is called life Experiance you seem to think it counts for something or do you just use it like a quip or quote for safety sake.

"To good to be true "is that what they said as justification ? When the Crucified Jesus.

And a piece of paper created ,made amends to the World with Christ Mass Vacation for every one.

Justice ,Truth, Facts and Lies are all one in the Same.

The spoken /written word is the Greatest Power given to Man,It can lead your sons and daughters to War and their possible death or their momentary
Victory,comfort you in your times of need or lead you to great anger and hatred.

Speak as tho God is watching, because he is. Can not prove it though. But Live Like I CAN. :red:

Lots of "talk", but interesting that no answers were forthcoming.....

I just ran across a report done by Twin Ports Tasting Inc. in Superior Wi.
Its is a test of Lakes Region Pellets. On that report it states that the pellets tested are made from 100% Eastern White Pine not used pallets.
The numbers listed are 0.19 ash and btu at moisture free are 8916. Moisture and ash free btu 8933.
Cant find any more info on line than that.
Does this mean its an awesome pellet? No
It just shows us it tested 1 batch good.
Time will tell.They will have to tested in our stoves this winter to satify all our minds.

Gumby1 said:
Sorry thats Twin Ports Testing

Darn....Twin Ports Tasting seemed so much more appetizing :lol:

And i have a question......does having the pellets tested that have "btu at moisture free are 8916" mean their moisture level is somehow reduced to zero, and then they are tested? That doesn't seem "real world" to me.

I've never subscribed to a thread here before, but I'm getting my popcorn now. This one's got it all, ranting, raving, politics, and the worlds best pellet. I'll probably burn for this, but in all fairness I do have a financial stake in my own brand of pellets, Hades Hot Ones---hot as hell, all eternity to pay. I also dabble in other pulp products as the owner of the Asp-Viper toilet paper company---everyone knows an Asp-Viper. Cheers.

:zip:

Your lack of Oink Oink shows that you are Dazed and Confused as the biggest content in your reply, I had authored .

I am not tucking you in or leaving the light on for you. You need to be a big pig now...

I love you, man. Thanks.

Souzafone said:
I love you, man. Thanks.

He's giving us some great material "I am not tucking you in or leaving the light on for you. You need to be a big pig now…" :lol:

macman said:
Souzafone said:
I love you, man. Thanks.

He's giving us some great material "I am not tucking you in or leaving the light on for you. You need to be a big pig now…" :lol:
7.1 tons= ginormous pig :lol:

may I suggest that once you go to 7+ tons, you may well enter the realm of Pellet Hogzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.