landed some more wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
My neighbor down the road has come through for me again. He and his neighbor had 17 trees taken down last week. He worked it for me to get some of it since the neighbor's son-in-law burns. Thursday I did some scouting and found an oak had been taken down, which of course I told my buddy. So we started with the oak and then moved to another pile which we thought was all walnut, but it wasn't all walnut. There was ash & hackberry too! We ended with two 16' trailer loads to split come spring, one of all oak & one mixed. The oak was so heavy we had to get the neighbor's front end loader.

The oak is swamp oak which is in the white oak family. If the son in law doesn't show I'm headed back for more ash, walnut, and even more oak. I'll post pics Monday.

fv

Sounds like an awesome score with a great potential of more! Get it split before next spring! Still a little time to get it to start dropping a good amount of moisture! Thats if you have time of course. Dont think you need to split it all at once. Whether by hand or with a hydro, hit a few rounds a night and it will be done sooner than you think! It seems to work quite well. I do all my cutting and toss the rounds in a heap on the weekends adn split throughout the week when I find time.

It's hunting season so it will be on hold until February.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.