larch/ tamarack in gasifier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hello all--

Has anyone else used Larch/ Eastern Tamarack in a gasification boiler?

From looking at the tables of BTU contents and moisture content, it looks pretty good- better than white birch.

Anyone have any experience in how quickly it seasons (in my experience, some species of wood seem to be good at 'giving up their moisture' pretty rapidly, while others - oak in particular- really need lots of time)?

Thanks

Don't recall seeing anything on it specifically relating to gasifiers, but I'm sure it's been discussed a lot otherwise - use the search tool...

I've essentially never heard or seen anything to suggest that there are any real differences in the way any sort of wood performs in a gasser and the way it performs in a wood stove... In both cases it needs to be seasoned to about the same level to burn well, and it will then burn, produce heat, etc. about the same way it will in a wood stove - i.e. woods that have bad "burning manners" in a stove will show the same behaviour in a gasser, though sparking and popping are probably less of an issue... Likewise in terms of things like burn speed, heat output etc... Not a lot of difference.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.