Large amount of early leaf drop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
I don't know what has brought this on this year, but there is a large amount of leaves dropping before the usual fall foliage. These leaves seem smaller than usual. Sometimes it is just one side of the tree. (South) image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no tree expert, but I would suspect dry conditions this summer. Did you have a drier than normal summer?
The leaves on our maples are bright orange already, somewhat earlier than normal.

I can honestly say that this was one of the wettest summers we have had. One of my " theories" is that we had a lot tender growth during the very wet June, then it got scorching hot in July. That may have burned or otherwise harmed the leaves. The leaf drop seems to come from the south sided and tops of the trees.

Too wet can cause some of the same problems as too dry.

Happening around here to, although I can't say it on one side of the trees.
I've only noticed it on the Silver Maples, but they are one of our most common street/yard trees. I'm pretty sure water stress is to blame here. We had a very wet spring & early summer, but were very dry from late July. Drought conditions until just a few days ago.
2 mature Silvers in my back yard have dropped about 3/4 of their leaves. 2 mature Silvers in my front yard have drop virtually none. Trees in the front benefit from me watering gardens, shrubs & occasionally the grass. All my Silver Maples dropped leaves starting in July last year from the heat & drought.

Happening here because the 17 year Cicadas killed off ends of branches. They started falling in early August.

Reactions: woodgeek
Same here. Started a couple weeks ago.

Noticed this as well . . . might not be a particularly colorful Fall with so many dead leafs dropping.

We have seen the same here, but its spotty. I look across the street and a number of my neighbors trees have significant color. But look out back and most of ours are still fully green, except for one maple that's starting to brown a bit. I wonder if it has to do with water and local conditions? (ie areas that drain well vs. areas that stay wet).

I just noticed the first leaves falling this weekend. Peak foliage is like mid- October normally here.

I think the extra rain may have something to do with it- the lawn never turned brown, and maybe you're right- the leaves grew when they normally don't

We had a very wet spring and early summer. Now we're borderline moderate drought. I think the trees put on extra leaves when it was wet and began shedding them when it dried out.

We've got a bug or worm in the area here that has stripped large expanses of maples. Just kind of started being noticed - but all the leaves fell off them in the last month or so. Not sure what it is exactly or what it will mean for next year. No colour change involved.

Some maples are just shedding their leaves. I have one in my front yard that has shed nearly all the leaves on one side and the top. Odd fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.