Large Dutch West questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ_Jesterhead

Nov 12, 2011
North New Jersey
Hey folks, Getting pounded by some good snow up here in northern NJ today. Ive had the stove running non stop since last night. Im burning mostly ash with the occasional red oak splits for some extra heat. I have a few questions.

1- Ive pretty much left the secondary air control set at 1 and 1/2 turns open since it was installed last year, is this better left alone? or should I play with it a little?

2) The stove thermometer on the side door occasionally takes trips into the 650 range and the Cat therm is about 1100. Is this too hot? Or am I being paranoid because the door thermometer in that area is painted red?

3) in a pinch if the stove starts to get a little out of control could someone give me a overfiring for dummies on how to calm it down? less air? take it off cat combustion? Any proven help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Can't answer #1, but the temps you are seeing are OK in my book! If the stove gets out of control, which really should not happen, choking down on the air to some degree is probably the best solution. But if you choke down too much you could have flashback, where gases build up and then ignite.

There is a difference between "stove putting out vast heat because everything is working fine" and "out of control" - the second one is usually the result of stoves where the air cannot be controlled, chimney fires, burning particleboard, etc.

I've got the same stove. Majestic actually suggests 500-600 firebox as a normal range. My door thermometer has that as over firing.

Also...you definitely shoulduse the secondary and tinker with it. Majestic suggests that if the primary is open only 1/4 to closed that the secondary should only be opened a half turn. Your combustor is what gives you clean burns. It also produces h2o as aa byproduct of burning smoke off. Also, the catalyst as Majestic says can safely reach 1600 degrees.

Hey folks, Getting pounded by some good snow up here in northern NJ today. Ive had the stove running non stop since last night. Im burning mostly ash with the occasional red oak splits for some extra heat. I have a few questions.

1- Ive pretty much left the secondary air control set at 1 and 1/2 turns open since it was installed last year, is this better left alone? or should I play with it a little?

2) The stove thermometer on the side door occasionally takes trips into the 650 range and the Cat therm is about 1100. Is this too hot? Or am I being paranoid because the door thermometer in that area is painted red?

3) in a pinch if the stove starts to get a little out of control could someone give me a overfiring for dummies on how to calm it down? less air? take it off cat combustion? Any proven help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
I've got the same stove. Majestic actually suggests 500-600 firebox as a normal range. My door thermometer has that as over firing.

Also...you definitely shoulduse the secondary and tinker with it. Majestic suggests that if the primary is open only 1/4 to closed that the secondary should only be opened a half turn. Your combustor is what gives you clean burns. It also produces h2o as aa byproduct of burning smoke off. Also, the catalyst as Majestic says can safely reach 1600 degrees.

The door thermometer ranges are for stove pipe. 600-650F is fine for a stove top.

Majestic specifically says to not measure the top of the stove EXCEPT for the catalyst. And the door is the only single walled thickness on the stove.

I understand that, my point is just that the ranges on the thermometer that are mentioned are for stovepipe, not stove body temps. 600F is normal cruising temp for this stove:

You should put a magnetic surface thermometer on the
side door. This is the only single-thickness area of the
firebox, and it’s a handy location since you’ll use the
side door more than any other.
The normal range of firebox temperatures is 400 to
650˚ F (190 to 330˚ C). Temperatures below this range
can encourage creosote formation in the stovepipe and
chimney; higher temperatures can cause stove parts to
burn out prematurely.

Reactions: Kool_hand_Looke
I understand that, my point is just that the ranges on the thermometer that are mentioned are for stovepipe, not stove body temps. 600F is normal cruising temp for this stove:

You should put a magnetic surface thermometer on the
side door. This is the only single-thickness area of the
firebox, and it’s a handy location since you’ll use the
side door more than any other.
The normal range of firebox temperatures is 400 to
650˚ F (190 to 330˚ C). Temperatures below this range
can encourage creosote formation in the stovepipe and
chimney; higher temperatures can cause stove parts to
burn out prematurely.
I can only manage to sustain about 450 degrees in the firebox. But I can get the cat a blazing 1300 degrees before that 450 degrees is sustained. It's quite finicky.

Status
Not open for further replies.