large firebox insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raideralex1

Jul 16, 2008
alexandria, louisiana
we have a new fireplace that will require a firebox 5 feet by five feet or as close to that as possible. Does anyone know where to find an insert for a fireplace this large or have suggestions that will help us on cost if he have to go with a more expensive method. thank you

That is large free standing stove territory. :bug: Not an insert.

BB is right, it is huge. Is this being built now or is it already built? If already built, can you post a picture and tell us a bit about how it will be used and how much space you want to heat?

Yeah. Down there in Alex put ya a big free standing heater in that fireplace and you can whomp up a batch of mud bug etoufee on top of it and life will be good. I guarantee.

Oh man, yer makin' me wish I had me some boudin, a big pot of chicken & sausage gumbo, and a skillet of cornbread. Mon dieu! Rick

kool, i used to live in natchitoches when i was a child (7-8) wonderful place i fished cane river lake and a big bayou locals called breeda lake (both within walking distance), bass like alligators in that lake. cane river lake had great channel cats. makes me wanna retire there just thinking about it. we used to go to alexandria on occasion. from what i remember was a nice town.

Well, so, Mike, you guys got an insert of about, say 60 cubic feet or so for raideralex, or would you recommend he slide a big-a$$ steel freestander into that gaping pit? Sure wish we could see a pic of this fireplace, it must be something to behold. Rick

So when would there be a need for fire, let along a fire place, in Louisiana?

Uggh, Jerry ... winters in Houston were very, very damp. It can chill you. To much water, ya know?

I'm sure LA is the same way.

'Course, I wouldn't want their summers !

Jerry_NJ said:

Maybe when I was in basic training south of there in Leesville, Louisiana. In the snow.

Newsflash: It gets cold in the South too. :lol:

Jerry_NJ said:

Jerry, you ever eat a raw crawfish? Everybody needs a fire now and again. :cheese: Rick

Ok, cooking is a reason for a fire down south, and for that one night a year, but still, why a big investment in an insert or stove? Just an open fire on the hearth would be warming. What's the outside temperature, 50 degrees?

Hey, I'm not opposed to "raderalex1" getting a gigantic insert...but we can have some fun while waiting for him to get back to this post. :)

BrotherBart said:
Newsflash: It gets cold in the South too. :lol:

Yeah, but only on Thursday :)

I have been working in LA for the past 6 weeks. I've been to New Orleans, Slidell, Metarie, West Bank, Houma, Alexandria(Sulpher), Baton Rouge, and Lake charles. By far, New Orleans is the hottest most humid muggy place I have EVER BEEN. Granted, I was there during summer but the other towns weren't nearly as humid as New Orleans.

I checked the temps for Alexandra, LA. Looks like average January temps are in the 50's. It does get cold, well relative to the mid 50s, but only occasionally. It would help to have a picture or more info, but right now I am leaning toward a freestanding, mid-sized attractive stove with a nice fire view like the Jotul Castine. Maybe $25-$2800 installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.