Large fireplace opening but small house. Want big viewing area, but afraid of too much heat.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kavdenver

Oct 26, 2014
denver
This is a great forum - have learned a lot. Thank you. First time posting. I am converting my wood burning fireplace and installing a direct vent unit. The opening is rather large (34 7/8 W x 25D x 28.5 H) for my small 1920s tudor (1,100 sq ft). It is large enough to accommodate the Heat N Glo Escape I-35 (which I love for the aesthetics - great logs and great flames IMO), but I am afraid that this unit will put out too much heat for my space. Ambiance is very important to me, so I love the large viewing area with this unit, but if I have to keep the flames turned down to prevent my room from getting too hot, then I will not be happy with my decision. The Escape I30 is an option, but I'm not excited about the smaller viewing area. I want a combination of ambiance and heat, but don't want/need to heat my whole house, just want a cozy room. Would it be a mistake to go with the larger unit because of the BTUs? Is there another brand that boasts larger viewing area with less heat output that I don't know about? Thank you for your help with this decision.

If you keep the flames on MEDIUM & the blower unit OFF, you may get what you want. Also, by keeping all adjacent doorways open, the heat may not be as concentrated in the installed room. Having the larger unit is really nice if you need it during a power outage. You don't say how well the house is insulated so you might be losing more heat than you're retaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.