large fluffy ash build up on sides of burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W

Jan 20, 2011
Michigan
Hello everyone,

I have only had my burner for a week now and I'm not sure I have all my settings correct. I am getting large fluffy ash build up on the sides of burn pot. I read somewhere that this could be caused by low draft. I have the draft set at 2 according to the harman xxv manual. I also don't think I'm getting the heat I should. Should I mess with anything or am I just being anal?

Fluffy ash isn't a world stopper. The hard rock like stuff and slag mounds are much worse. We always ask if the stove has been cleaned and if the burn looks lazy. Could be an air leak(from door seals) as well as low draft. Could also be the feed rate the stove is set on. You could start by lowering it a notch or 2. Check the door seals with the dollar bill test. Make sure the stove is tidy with a complete cleaning.

Could just be pellets and its contents. So stating the brand could help as others might have some tricks to work around the issue. Or you could just purchase a few bags of another brand and see how they burn.

I am sure other members will chime in, They will ask what is the vent configuration and your cleaning schedule. Also how long has it been since its last full vent and all cleaning?

Thanks for your input. The stove is only a week old, the last cleaning was two days ago. I am burning Michigan Wood Pellets. On second look, the ash build up on the corners of the burn pot look more hard than fluffy. I am using the Harman Direct Vent Wall Passthrough system with the intake set at 2 per manuals recommendations.

Harman allows you to change the draft?

Strange other than a low burn adjustment to match your stove to the electrical conditions they are set at when built, about the only adjustment they provide is source of controlling probes (room or stove), feed rate which is a limit, and on some convection fan blower rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.